This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does Deutereronomy 13:12-18 work with Deuteronomy 5.17?

#1DiranosaurPosted 5/25/2011 2:43:45 PM
What are you Jews' and Christians' opionions on these verses? If God is benevolent, why would he tell people to slay whole villages? How does this work together with Deuteronomy 5:17 which says "Thou shalt not kill"?

(sorry for making many topics, I just thought of this question, and pasting it into the other topic wouldn't make sense)
---
My folk band - http://barfota.bandcamp.com/
#2DagorhaPosted 5/25/2011 2:53:07 PM
slaying a village = justifiable execution

killing =/= murder
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#3bsballa09Posted 5/25/2011 2:56:11 PM
Well for one, as a Jew, I don't believe in G-d being omnipotent, omniscient, all benevolent, etc. Two, not everything is cut and dry. It says thou shalt not kill doesn't mean never to kill. Clearly self defense/war is justified.
---
You know someone is obsessed with you when they still try to troll you, even though they know they are on your ignore list.
#4DagorhaPosted 5/25/2011 3:01:25 PM
out of curiosity BS, what attributes would you assign God?
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#5Diranosaur(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2011 3:06:33 PM
Dagorha posted...
slaying a village = justifiable execution

killing =/= murder

Do you believe that, or is it just what you expect Christians to believe?
I do not think that any execution or any kind of killing of any animal is justifiable, except in self-defence, but not even in that situation is it fully justifiable.
---
My folk band - http://barfota.bandcamp.com/
#6DagorhaPosted 5/25/2011 3:16:08 PM
It is the typical message most Christians tell me. It isn't murder when god condones it.
---
#7bsballa09Posted 5/25/2011 3:24:33 PM
out of curiosity BS, what attributes would you assign God?

Don't know, but not the things I listed.
---
You know someone is obsessed with you when they still try to troll you, even though they know they are on your ignore list.
#8JonWood007Posted 5/25/2011 6:28:29 PM
I actually studied a bit of the Israelites slaying the Canaanites under God's command for a class on moral leadership/followership. Basically, the conclusion I got was that God had higher motives that made the killing of such peoples an acceptable part of his plan. Combined with the fact that they supposedly were not very nice to begin with and technically not innocent according to God, God had reasons behind His motives. The wide ranging consequences of his actions are hard to determine, but think of it this way, if the Israelites had not done this, the Bible would not have been written, as the Israelites wouldnt intermingled with the native religions of the land, Jesus would not have been born (no saving people from their sins according to the Christian religion), and the entire course of history, all the way up to the present day would be different. Like 4 billion people or something practice some form of abrahamic faith (Christianity, Islam, Judaism). What would the world have been like if God had not ordered those villages destroyed? Who knows.

One thing God seemed to want was his name being known throughout the world. He wanted his glory known, and he spared absolutely no expense in doing it. Crazy miracles, etc. Killing a few people who he found immoral to Him was an acceptable loss. And once can argue that in the long run, maybe such costs were worth it.

This is just conjecturing, but after writing a paper on this, grappling with these issues, this is basically the conclusion ive come to.

As for why no other killing is acceptable, it is not part of God's ultimate plan. And not to mention, society would fall apart if everyone could just kill everyone. So really, these commands telling them to kill all those people are really just the exception to the rule. Is the killing of those villages still immoral? From a certain perspective, yes, but on the other hand, God could see their killing as worth it in the grand scheme of things. COnsidering how much different history wouldve turned out if they had not killed them, then perhaps from God's perspective it truly is worth it.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: Celeron 900 | 3 GB DDR2 | GMA 4500m | 250 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#9gamesrgreatPosted 5/25/2011 7:42:47 PM
^Man you would think a god could come up with a better way
---
Cyclops has never beaten Wolverine
We Three Kings- The Miami Heat
#10OrangeWizardPosted 5/25/2011 11:37:50 PM
The commandment is "thou shalt not murder" not "thou shalt not kill".

Whatever God does is just, if we take the bible to be true.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops