This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Religion = Lazy Philosophy?

#1Josiah_RevivedPosted 5/25/2011 8:01:01 PM
Note: I am not condemning any religion or any religious denomination; I am simply voicing an opinion.

I understand the value in certain religious doctrines; the Ten Commandments, the Noble Eightfold Path, etc. However, I wonder why so many people feel the need to embrace these doctrines under the authority of a deific (or quasi-deific) figure? For example, the moral teachings and ethical instructions of Jesus are worthwhile and make for a virtuous life, but why can't people just follow such morality on their own? The inclusion of a divine being is unnecessary. The reason I compared religion to a lazy philosophy in the topic title is because religion essentially dishes out the morality; "here it is, there you go." Philosophy requires people to deliberate and think, think, think, to a much higher degree, IMO.

Thoughts?
#2SirThinkALotPosted 5/25/2011 8:02:49 PM
If you actually study theology and/or philosophy of religion you'll relize that religious belief is far from 'lazy.'
---
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
PSN name: SirThinkALot
#3Hustle KongPosted 5/25/2011 8:04:28 PM
Josiah_Revived posted...
The inclusion of a divine being is unnecessary. The reason I compared religion to a lazy philosophy in the topic title is because religion essentially dishes out the morality; "here it is, there you go."

Thoughts?

I think you need to learn more about religion. A lot more.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#4WaruigiPosted 5/25/2011 8:08:11 PM
Most religious traditions provide more questions than they do answers. Unfortunately, some modern religions have conservatives branches that seem to think to the contrary they have the answers.

Also, most people don't stop to contemplate philosophy, so comparing the average churchgoer with a philosophical type isn't really fair.
---
"I'm no longer surprised by how long and how earnestly people can talk about absolute rubbish." -shockwavepulsarjim
#5DagorhaPosted 5/25/2011 8:14:27 PM
How much do you even know about philosophy? Can you talk to me about Hegel, Hume, Agustin? Can you speak much of Kierkegard, Kant or Plato?
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#6CaptainKOPosted 5/25/2011 8:38:40 PM
If you actually study theology and/or philosophy of religion you'll relize that religious belief is far from 'lazy.'

Agreed, it's more neurotic than lazy. Most people who are in religion are either manic or co-dependent. However, religions full of manic worshipers are called cults.
---
http://captainko.deviantart.com/
#7OzymandiasIVPosted 5/25/2011 8:47:35 PM
Dagorha posted...
How much do you even know about philosophy? Can you talk to me about Hegel, Hume, Agustin? Can you speak much of Kierkegard, Kant or Plato?

He's talking about what philosophy is, not the specific ideas of multiple different philosophers discussing various subjects. Think of it like this: I know what chemistry is, but I don't need to have studied it to discuss it in its most general terms. I'm talking on the general level of mixing two things together and getting a reaction, or breaking something down into its parts, whereas you want to get into the nitty-gritty and talk about all the individual elements, how they interact with each other, how different combinations work, what they do, the math behind all of it, and all of its practical applications.

Now, can we stop focusing on what was, admittedly, a poor choice of topic title that lead to a rather unfortunate tangent and discuss the real issue here, the fact that some people require a deity behind such laws or values or whatever you want to call them for them to be of any value or worth to that person?
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#8OrangeWizardPosted 5/25/2011 8:56:42 PM
You know what's lazy? People who just claim to be spiritual without putting an ounce of work into it.

"Yeah, man, God exists, but he doesn't want us to go to a church or anything, and he doesn't want us to read the bible or anything, it's all about the spiritual connection between me and God, and you can't get that through a church. You have to feel him in your heart *puffs weed*"

That's lazy.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#9Josiah_Revived(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2011 9:08:46 PM

I probably should have chosen a more... judicious... topic title, but regardless: I never said religious belief is "lazy," I said that it's "lazy philosophy." There are certainly massive bodies of work and countless thinkers pertaining to theological arguments and the so-called philosophy of religion, but my point cuts right to the core: what necessitates the inclusion of a deity for moral and ethical creeds to be imbued with value?
#10OrangeWizardPosted 5/25/2011 9:10:42 PM
For believers, it's not really so much of a philosophy, as it is a truth, not unlike math or gravity
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops