This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Argument for the existence of God: religious belief is built into humans.

#11Faust_8Posted 5/25/2011 9:53:48 PM
...OW is just trying to be funny/sarcastic right?
---
Religions tell children they might avoid hell...while science tells children they came from the stars.
#12AllCityKing98Posted 5/25/2011 11:09:49 PM
Religious belief is only human nature in the sense that human beings try to explain things in terms of patterns and stuff, often leading to an illogical connection. Belief in god(s)/demons/the supernatural/ect. is very, very diverse...and like everything in society, a social construct.

We are programmed to recognize patterns too. Which, most of the time, turn out not to be true and are just in our imagination.

Bad argument. Evidence or no deal, especially for a concept outside of the laws of physics.
---
I believe man made God out of ignorance and fear. If God made man then why the hell would he put us here?
#13OnceInALifeTimePosted 5/26/2011 4:11:09 AM
Dawkins actually talks about this in one of his books, and he believes there is a biological use in believing in a deity, although iirc he attributes it to social cohesion and herd mechanics.
---
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake
#14squareandrarePosted 5/26/2011 6:19:01 PM
Many people are eased by the general sense that something is in control and watching out for them. I don't think it's unreasonable that evolution would have selected for that. It might be a mechanism for avoiding fear about things we can't control (eg, death).
---
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman
#15squareandrarePosted 5/26/2011 6:23:39 PM
Dawkins actually talks about this in one of his books, and he believes there is a biological use in believing in a deity, although iirc he attributes it to social cohesion and herd mechanics.

I haven't read his books, but I imagine that he's talking about organized religion, not the belief in god. The two ideas aren't totally separate, but I think each is driven by a different emotional need (the need to avoid fear and the need for community). I think the need to avoid fear incited belief in the supernatural, and then religion used it to provide a sense of community.
---
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman