This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Argument from poor design...

#1sextronbotPosted 5/26/2011 1:17:08 AM(edited)
Just curious as to how believers reconcile their faith with the noted flaws in the human body. To name a few...the fact that we breathe through the same hole that we eat from (does God want people choking on their food?). Allergies and other birth defects (why does God just randomly decide to make life more difficult for some people at birth?). Vestigial structures that are more of a hindrance than anything.
---
RIP Butters_1188 2005-2009 :'(
#2DiranosaurPosted 5/26/2011 1:16:36 AM(edited)
Would a perfect human have an appendix, nails, body hair or pinky toes? Just to add to TCs post.
---
My folk band - http://barfota.bandcamp.com/
#3DiranosaurPosted 5/26/2011 1:16:02 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4OrangeWizardPosted 5/26/2011 1:17:28 AM
sextronbot posted...
Just curious as to how believers reconcile their faith with the noted flaws in the human body. To name a few...the fact that we breath through the same hole that we eat from (does God want people choking on their food?).

Nostrils.

Allergies and other birth defects (why does God just randomly decide to make life more difficult for some people at birth?).

The only people God ever directly made was Adam and Eve. When they sinned, it somehow changed their genes so that imperfections could crop up. Plus, pesticides, chemicals, preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, etc. We eat that, not by God's design.

Vestigial structures that are more of a hindrance than anything.

If you say "the appendix" or "tonsils" I will lol.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#5OrangeWizardPosted 5/26/2011 1:20:20 AM(edited)
Diranosaur posted...
Would a perfect human have an appendix, nails, body hair or pinky toes? Just to add to TCs post.

Hey, I like my appendix, as it has a function for my immune system, my nails help me scratch and rip open plastic, and by body hair keeps me warm and makes me look manly. Plus, my pinkie toes help me keep by balance, and it's fun to see how much I could mutilate the nails on my pinkie toe.

I've gotten by left nail split in half. I'm working on removing the right half, and I'm waiting for my left toenail to grow back. It's currently really sharp, because I pick at it so that it forms a point.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
#6DiranosaurPosted 5/26/2011 1:19:35 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
If you say "the appendix" or "tonsils" I will lol.

Because that's your only answer?

Also, nostrils doesn't prevent choking.
---
#7DiranosaurPosted 5/26/2011 1:21:37 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
Hey, I like my appendix, as it has a function for my immune system, my nails help me scratch and rip open plastic, and by body hair keeps me warm and makes me look manly. Plus, my pinkie toes help me keep by balance, and it's fun to see how much I could mutilate the nails on my pinkie toe.

According to most scientists, no it doesn't. Needing to scratch is an imperfection, and plastic is man-made. Your body hair does not keep you warm, and looking manly probably wasn't part of God's plan. Your pinky toes don't help you and self-mutilation is against the Bible.
---
#8OrangeWizardPosted 5/26/2011 1:22:25 AM(edited)
Diranosaur posted...

Because that's your only answer?

No, because they actually have functions.

Can live without =/= no function.

We can live with one kidney. Does that mean two are useless?

Also, nostrils doesn't prevent choking.

No, but not being an idiot does. I have successfully eaten countless meals without choking. I take the time to chew and swallow my food so that it doesn't block up my esophagus. Plus, I don't breathe and swallow at the same time.
---
#9OrangeWizardPosted 5/26/2011 1:27:57 AM
Diranosaur posted...

According to most scientists, no it doesn't. Needing to scratch is an imperfection

How is it an imperfection on our part if a mosquito or fly bites us?

and plastic is man-made. Your body hair does not keep you warm,
Tell that to DEEZ NUTS

And my head.

and looking manly probably wasn't part of God's plan. Your pinky toes don't help you and self-mutilation is against the Bible.

If looking manly wasn't part of God's plan, how would we distinguish men from women so that we could mate with them? Check?

Pinkie toes keep you balanced.

That's like saying you don't need a third toe, or a ring finger. Or any tooth of your choosing. Or two eyes. Or some of your skin.
---
#10DiranosaurPosted 5/26/2011 1:45:46 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
How is it an imperfection on our part if a mosquito or fly bites us?

Tell that to DEEZ NUTS

And my head.

If looking manly wasn't part of God's plan, how would we distinguish men from women so that we could mate with them? Check?

Pinkie toes keep you balanced.

That's like saying you don't need a third toe, or a ring finger. Or any tooth of your choosing. Or two eyes. Or some of your skin.

Because it's definitely not helping at all.
Your sack actually keeps your nuts cool, they're not supposed to be warm, so if your hair is making your nuts so warm, then it's an imperfection.

Wear a hat. If you're not opposed to plastic, then you certainly aren't opposed to something as great as a hat.

It's easy to distinguish by looking down there, the first human were quite naked, and if you didn't know, women also have body hair.

Pinkie toes actually don't, we don't need them. Saying that you don't need something that you don't need is not the same thing as saying that you don't need something you need.
---