This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pro-life and theism are incompatible...

#21squareandrarePosted 5/26/2011 6:45:47 PM
And it's hard to find examples because the beliefs are so damn common that no one bothers to even say them.
---
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman
#22kozlo100Posted 5/26/2011 6:56:45 PM(edited)
You know damn well that every human has a soul and that every life is sacred is a central belief in Christianity.

Now show why one would necessarily use that feature to support the pro-life position, and why that feature negates all possible support of the death penalty, and then you've only shown that the combination of the two is hypocritical, not that either one is invalid.

Or, you know what, don't. I'm clearly getting too worked up over this. I just get frustrated when people go for the low-hanging fruit when there's more compelling arguments to be made. To be fair, you don't often do that, and I know that. Garet did this time, and you came in while I was all in a kerfuffle. I apologize.

*stream of consciousness post. Changed what I wanted to say halfway through, but it didn't feel honest to delete the first bit.

---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#23squareandrarePosted 5/26/2011 7:03:04 PM
why that feature negates all possible support of the death penalty

...then it follows that the lives of the convicted as sacred, so their lives should be protected. That's what it means to believe in the sanctity of life.

and then you've only shown that the combination of the two is hypocritical, not that either one is invalid.

...which was my intent. If they recognize it's a contradiction (and they actually care), they'll be forced to modify one of the two positions. If they modify their support of the death penalty, then good. If they decide that not all life is sacred, they'll be forced to ask if every human has a soul. Who knows where that line of thought could lead.

But I know that won't happen. It'll be rationalized away at the first step.
---
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman
#24squareandrarePosted 5/26/2011 7:04:46 PM
To be fair, you don't often do that, and I know that. Garet did this time, and you came in while I was all in a kerfuffle. I apologize.

Fair enough. I need to stop responding to posts I haven't even finished reading yet...
---
-- Leon Lederman
#25kozlo100Posted 5/26/2011 7:12:37 PM
Don't worry about it, I do that often enough too.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#26riffy_raffyPosted 5/26/2011 7:50:12 PM
The Catholics are against capital punishment in just about every instance. Doesn't that, in and of itself, indicate that the majority of Christians are against it as well? This, I'm sure, is particulary true outside of the US, which is sort of an anomaly of a country considering its a developed, Western nation with unusually harsh laws and punishment and all-around floundering penal system.