This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A Poll, if you will

#1MasterGamer72Posted 5/26/2011 2:04:05 PM
Do you spend your life serving your religion,

or

Do you use your religion to serve your life?

I am curious to where people on this board stand in that matter.
---
Forget it. Let's just have secret butt fun instead.
#2Hustle KongPosted 5/26/2011 3:22:19 PM
Being irreligious, my answer won't make sense, but I feel a lot like the first answer applies to me, with some of the latter thrown in. I feel deeply compelled to serve some purpose, though I am not sure what that is. But there is something outside of myself that I try to do good by. Even if that thing outside turns out to be only inside. It's confusing.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#3kozlo100Posted 5/26/2011 3:34:03 PM(edited)
I don't think I'm too far off from that position myself HK. The first difference that I think of is that I think I would say the purpose I'm serving is internal, though also not really known, and yet not exactly of or from myself either, which is also confusing.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#4Aperture_ShadoPosted 5/26/2011 3:54:10 PM
I dunno, but I know that religion is the NUMBER ONE cause of death in the world.
---
"There's only two things I fear more than myself in a battle, God and my shadow"
#5AllCityKing98Posted 5/26/2011 4:05:27 PM
When I believed in some higher power/god type being in my younger years I was doing alot more of the second. Things like praying certain stuff would happen and stuff like that...didn't really care about "serving" one faith.

As I grew up I came to understand the idea that a god would intervene like that is silly. I now fight religion, which I believe to be a bane upon society.
---
I believe man made God out of ignorance and fear. If God made man then why the hell would he put us here?
#6DiranosaurPosted 5/26/2011 4:58:55 PM(edited)
MasterGamer72 posted...
Do you spend your life serving your religion,

or

Do you use your religion to serve your life?

Seeing as I'm some kind of pantheist, I serve my religion by meditation and being out in the nature. As I feel a spiritual bond towards nature, I also use my religion to serve my life.

I'm not part of a set religion though, and most wouldn't call me religious.
---
My folk band - http://barfota.bandcamp.com/
#7the_hedonistPosted 5/26/2011 5:00:35 PM
I am a Christian hedonist. God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him. In other words, there is a positive correlation between my true happiness and God's glory. If I want to best serve my own interests, I will try to follow God as best I can.

So a simple answer would be, 'yes.'
---
Everything that doesn't have to do with elephants is irrelephant.
~The Christian Hedonist~
#8MasterGamer72(Topic Creator)Posted 5/26/2011 6:32:40 PM
Hustle Kong: While your reply is a bit cryptic, I enjoyed your insight. It seems that although you can't quite explain what is driving you, you still follow this "duty" that you feel. Some of this relates to me.

kozlo100: I understand why you say it is confusing; everything does seem kinda fuzzy when you put it that way. I guess I could say that I admire your and HK's sense of purpose.

Aperture_Shado: You seem to have made yourself quite the public enemy around here, I'm especially curious about your stance on this.

AllCityKing98: This has been my favorite reply so far, probably because it hits home with me the most. I don't actively fight religion, but I do not tolerate zealots who go to desperate lengths to preach and convert. In my younger days I would pray for things when it was convenient, but eventually grew out of such thoughts just as you did.

Diranosaur: Are you familiar with Daosim or Confucianism? Daosim especially has a very specific connection with nature and considers mankind equal with all of nature. I respect that you aren't part of an organized religion, this is the first topic I've made on this board and I am warmed to see as much intelligence as I have so far. But the reason I brought up the two names is merely to see if I can relate to you in some way.

the_hedonist: Interesting reply. If I'm correct, you mean that the more satisfied/content with yourself and God you are, the happier you will be? Are you saying that the more you accept God the happier? Or the more trust you put in him the happier you'll be? That's the only part I don't quite understand but am interested to hear. As to the last part of your post- I understand that you follow God as a set of guidelines, right? I like that you do that, there are definitely guidelines from Christianity (and any organized religion) that can bring about benefits. You also seem to accept that a lot of users on this board (from what ive seen so far in other topics) are atheist. I am glad that you are able to coexist with them.
---
Forget it. Let's just have secret butt fun instead.
#9DiranosaurPosted 5/27/2011 4:56:15 AM(edited)
MasterGamer72 posted...
Are you familiar with Daosim or Confucianism? Daosim especially has a very specific connection with nature and considers mankind equal with all of nature. I respect that you aren't part of an organized religion, this is the first topic I've made on this board and I am warmed to see as much intelligence as I have so far. But the reason I brought up the two names is merely to see if I can relate to you in some way.

Not very fond of Confucianism, especially not the hierarchic structure. Don't know anything about Daoism, but I'll read into it :)
---
My folk band - http://barfota.bandcamp.com/
#10WhereDidItGoPosted 5/27/2011 6:06:20 AM
Early on after I became a Christian, admittedly it was more the second. The first church I attended had a prosperity gospel drive behind its teachings, so I often viewed my faith in correlation to my circumstances, which prompted me to increase the former to improve the latter.

It was actually over this matter that I felt the one and only time that I believe to be God speaking to me in a genuine way. That encounter changed my theological outlook quite a bit and showed me that my priorities were out of proper order. Since that time, one of my favorite prayers has become this one by St. Ignatius of Loyola.

Lord, teach me to be generous.
Teach me to serve you as you deserve;
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labor and not to ask for reward,
save that of knowing that I do your will.
---
"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. "
St. Francis of Assisi