This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Split brain patients with opposing beliefs - heard of this before?

#1kirsybuuPosted 5/29/2011 6:12:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFJPtVRlI64

Summary: researcher finds split-brain patients where one hemisphere is an atheist, and the other believes in a god. These people started off with a single, complete brain, then had it medically separated into two people.

To any believers, what do you think the soul dynamics are when someone's brain is split, or when that person dies with opposing beliefs in each half?
---
"sabe que no puede resistir mis encantos sensuales." ~ Poolshark128
#2SirThinkALotPosted 5/29/2011 6:21:32 PM
To any believers, what do you think the soul dynamics are when someone's brain is split, or when that person dies with opposing beliefs in each half?

It would seem that there is actually two seperate people existing in each half of the guy's brain. I'm not at liberty to judge if there was one person who died and was replaced with two different people, of if one person got one half and a new person was created in the other...
---
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
PSN name: SirThinkALot
#3Jamaal_CharlesPosted 5/29/2011 6:30:01 PM
That is really, really odd. The only explanation I can think of is that there are two souls in the body.
---
RagedBull
http://oi56.tinypic.com/1zgfh5j.jpg
#4DagorhaPosted 5/29/2011 6:49:34 PM
kirsybuu posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFJPtVRlI64

Summary: researcher finds split-brain patients where one hemisphere is an atheist, and the other believes in a god. These people started off with a single, complete brain, then had it medically separated into two people.

A split brain person is not two separate people, all it means is that the two halves of the brain are not in direct communication with each other but you can't normally tell because if you are speaking or if they are looking at each other, both sides of the brain are getting the information. From that point take it as you will.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#5Faust_8Posted 5/29/2011 7:26:18 PM
That is really, really odd. The only explanation I can think of is that there are two souls in the body.

Occam's Razor says there is no soul at all.
---
Religions tell children they might avoid hell...while science tells children they came from the stars.
#6hero boyPosted 5/29/2011 7:32:36 PM
But how long were the two souls in the body? What if that person had never had the procedure? What exactly is it about cutting the corpus callosum that allows them to have another soul?
---
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw
#7Giacomo_HawkinsPosted 5/29/2011 7:41:47 PM
Interesting. I'm curious about the woman comment though, can one brain be male and one female? A gay/straight brain?
---
Will the little voice in the back of my mind screaming "This is a bad idea" please yield the floor. --Mikey
Chivalry be hanged, and so will you.
#8anavriNPosted 5/29/2011 8:36:53 PM
Whereas this isn't as clear cut as there being two people inhabiting the same brain: these kind of experiments do provide a rough challenge for those who believe in the soul.

Take another instance: the infamous case of Phineas Gage. He was a construction worker in the 19th who suffered a horrific accident: having a steel bar lodged in his skull. Gage survived the incident, but thos around him quickly noticed how radically his personality had changed: going from a model, upstanding citizen to a grumpy and easily annoyed trouble-maker.
Neuroscience is full of cases where brain leisure leads to personality change. If a material defect can cause this, where does a 'soul' come in?
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#9OrangeWizardPosted 5/29/2011 9:01:50 PM
They don't exist, just like ex-homosexuals. They're only lying to themselves.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#10cyclonekrusePosted 5/29/2011 9:26:56 PM
anavriN posted...
Whereas this isn't as clear cut as there being two people inhabiting the same brain: these kind of experiments do provide a rough challenge for those who believe in the soul.

Take another instance: the infamous case of Phineas Gage. He was a construction worker in the 19th who suffered a horrific accident: having a steel bar lodged in his skull. Gage survived the incident, but thos around him quickly noticed how radically his personality had changed: going from a model, upstanding citizen to a grumpy and easily annoyed trouble-maker.
Neuroscience is full of cases where brain leisure leads to personality change. If a material defect can cause this, where does a 'soul' come in?

Car and driver analogy. Let's say I'm following you on the road. If I do it long enough, i can get a sense of your driving habits--your personality behind the wheel. Now, let's say your engine suffers some damage. Maybe the mass air flow sensor is on the fritz. Now your acceleration patters are more erratic. Your driving personality will have changed without any change to you.
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
Locke: "It's never been easy!"