This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shouldn't Christians be happy that they are persecuted?

#1mystic belmontPosted 5/31/2011 6:34:10 AM
What I mean is, in the bible, we have stories of Christians being persecuted and happy about it.
---
Again I must reiterate that I did not plagiarize twice, I copied two assignments once. - tuffguy34
[Evil Republican]
#2FelixTrapperPosted 5/31/2011 7:18:54 AM
I am, to an extent. I get frustrated at times, then I realize "oh hey. . . if I weren't being persecuted so heavily I'd actually have to rethink my religion!"

That's why I frequent these boards. ;)
---
Slowly recreating Final Fantasy 6 into 3D, one block at a time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GDKT0486
#3WhereDidItGoPosted 5/31/2011 7:47:22 AM
I don't know that "happy" is the word I would use, but persecution should make Christians hopeful that they share in the suffering of Christ since "A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. It is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household."

Prior to this however, Jesus also suggests fleeing to another city should they persecute them in the current one. So persecution isn't desirable, but it shouldn't be feared to the point of losing hope.

Although, I am reminded of the tradition held about St. Lawrence of Rome, who was said to be grilled alive over a flame, and before his death jokingly informed his executors that it was time to flip him over as he was done on the one side.
---
"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. "
St. Francis of Assisi
#4the_hedonistPosted 5/31/2011 8:39:56 AM
We should rejoice in all things, and the apostles do rejoice when they were "counted worthy to suffer for the sake of the name" (Acts 5:41).

Honestly, the "persecution" American Christians (and most western Christians, for that matter) face today is nothing compared. I have issues even calling it persecution. Christians should definitely not whine about it, though.
---
Everything that doesn't have to do with elephants is irrelephant.
~The Christian Hedonist~
#5inferiorweaselPosted 5/31/2011 3:57:25 PM
Persecution is promised to us. The question is, are we really being persecuted, or are we under a persecution complex to dull our senses for when the final persecution comes.
---
Live and Learn
Forgiveness is Divine.
#6Hustle KongPosted 5/31/2011 4:04:02 PM
Christians are not persecuted here in 21st century USA. Call me when y'all have to worry about pogroms.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#7bsballa09Posted 5/31/2011 4:07:52 PM
Lol... persecuted.
---
Worst online game of the year so far: Killzone 3
Expected worst online game of the year: Modern Warfare 3
#8Two dollar shoePosted 5/31/2011 4:44:25 PM
Considering the brutal oppression of Christians globally, this topic is insensitive to the point of being offensive. It's forgivable though, most white American teenagers don't think of Shahbaz Bhatti being assassinated, or Iraqi Christians being rapidly exterminated from a land they've occupied for 2000 years.
---
Official Randy Orton Slappy
#9FoxTheSwiftPosted 5/31/2011 5:10:29 PM
inferiorweasel posted...
Persecution is promised to us. The question is, are we really being persecuted, or are we under a persecution complex to dull our senses for when the final persecution comes.

Since you yourself have even claimed that I "persecute Christians" I should think that it is the latter by far =P

If you want to face persecution in America, try being gay for a bit. Then you'll have your own people giving you a taste of the sweet promise of persecution, especially you giantdonkeykongteam.
#10SirThinkALotPosted 5/31/2011 5:36:38 PM
The way the Christan right in America uses the word 'persecution' is an insult to anybody who has experenced actual persecution.
---
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
PSN name: SirThinkALot