This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Atheist son prays his Christian mom wins the lottery

#1chukie_suePosted 5/31/2011 11:03:49 AM
as a sign of God's existence, she does.

"But Sal Bentivegna, 26, never saw eye to eye with his mom's beliefs, describing himself as somewhere between an agnostic and an atheist.

"She's always wanted me to feel what she feels and the belief she has in God; but I need physical proof in my life," said Sal, a car audio installation technician from Smithtown.

"I remember one day he was praying to a tree, like the Indians," recalled Gloria.

Last month, mother and son's ongoing debate over religion came to a head as they played the slots in Atlantic City.

Sal Bentivegna challenged God to prove he exists.

"I said, if he wants me to believe, he'll give you a million dollars."

The answer came within twenty-four hours.

Gloria was scratching away at lottery tickets she had won at, of all places, a church auction. She hit the jackpot with the "Sweet Million" game, winning a million dollars.

The winning number just happened to coincide with Sal's birthday."
---
A mighty hand, an outstretched arm - You are the God who saves, Deliverer Your name.
#2kozlo100Posted 5/31/2011 11:07:20 AM
I'd like to see the link to the news story on this.

Still, in the general case, sounds like one more anecdote to add to the list. I imagine it's pretty compelling evidence for the two of them though.

Though if this really was the Christian god at work, one does wonder about the fairness of so many honest prayers asking for evidence going unanswered, while this dude not only gets confirmation, but a million bucks for his family to boot.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#3chukie_sue(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2011 11:13:19 AM(edited)
My bad,

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Son-Prays-for-Mom-to-Win-Lotto-She-Does-122714889.html

thanks for the friendly reminder.

I can't really come to a conclusion myself... I can say, however, that the chances of someone winning the lottery after someone had prayed probably aren't that low.
---
A mighty hand, an outstretched arm - You are the God who saves, Deliverer Your name.
#4TheLesserFaithXPosted 5/31/2011 11:23:53 AM
What about other Atheists who prayed for something to happen as a sign of God and nothing happened?
---
Evolution is a scientific fact with tons of conclusive evidence.
Here is a shortened link to a Google Doc that compiles said evidence: http://goo.gl/hWwzO
#5mystic belmontPosted 5/31/2011 11:24:16 AM
And yet, he won't heal amputees.
---
Again I must reiterate that I did not plagiarize twice, I copied two assignments once. - tuffguy34
[Evil Republican]
#6kozlo100Posted 5/31/2011 11:31:10 AM
I can say, however, that the chances of someone winning the lottery after someone had prayed probably aren't that low.

I was considering that point. New York is 70% Christian, so it stands to reason that any given lottery winner is going to be a Christian. I would expect that it's also not uncommon that someone who plays the lottery would pray for favorable luck, though I wouldn't throw out an exact stat on that one.

Still, I would think that an atheist doing a test prayer against a family member's gambling is pretty rare. Though you do never know what details get embellished in these kinds of stories.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#7Aperture_ShadoPosted 5/31/2011 11:39:29 AM
My question to the "why won't he answer everyone" people:

What obligation do you think or claim God has to satisfy a given person's prayer request?
---
"There's only two things I fear more than myself in a battle, God and my shadow"
#8mystic belmontPosted 5/31/2011 11:48:49 AM
Aperture_Shado posted...
My question to the "why won't he answer everyone" people:

What obligation do you think or claim God has to satisfy a given person's prayer request?

In he bible, it explicitly states that all for something to be accomplished is fir two Christians to meet and ask for it.

So, I guess his word?
---
Again I must reiterate that I did not plagiarize twice, I copied two assignments once. - tuffguy34
[Evil Republican]
#9ledzepfan15Posted 5/31/2011 12:06:38 PM

Is god not benevolent enough to simply grant a prayer because he wants to? Why does it have to be an obligation?
---
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro
#10OzymandiasIVPosted 5/31/2011 12:57:47 PM
That's one hell of a coincidence, but that's all it is.
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.