This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Federal judge lifts ban on prayer in Texas graduation

#1AtomicItalianPosted 6/3/2011 4:24:11 PM
http://n.pr/ihjPOS

Its from twitter.

Anyway, basically this girl is valedictorian, and she wants to start her speech with a prayer. According to the article, an "agnostic family" wanted to ban her from doing it. A Texas court upheld the ban, but it looks like they appealed and the ban was removed.

discuss.
---
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 1 John 3:16
#2DagorhaPosted 6/3/2011 4:34:32 PM
it's as if no one has ever heard of Engel v. Vitale. Whatever though i guess... it sucks and shouldn't be done.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#3sthaterPosted 6/3/2011 4:45:11 PM
Yeah I can't help but wonder how this is going to hold up in light of the current standards reflecting that. It certainly seems shaky given the precedent.
---
Like my loafers? Former gophers -It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
Part of the presidential triumvirate of board 666
#4kozlo100Posted 6/3/2011 4:46:38 PM
How I feel about this is largely dependent on precisely what kind of prayer she wants to say. Freedom of speech versus freedom of religion is a tricky line to draw, and the devil is in the details.

It looks as if she wants to lead the audience in a prayer. In my view, that is unconstitutional, and properly so. Though I'd say that Santa Fe ISD v. Doe is the relevant case, rather than Engel v Vitale, as this is a student lead prayer rather than one composed by a school official.

Regardless of the legalities, it's the request for audience participation in prayer at an official ceremony that crosses the line for me philosophically. Should she wish to simply utter a prayer of her own, rather than lead one, I would oppose an attempt to prevent her from doing it.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#5kozlo100Posted 6/3/2011 4:51:38 PM
Here is a link to an AP story that is a little more detailed:
http://www.npr.org/2011/06/03/136934940/court-lifts-ban-on-prayer-at-high-school-graduation

Notice the careful wording of each side in describing their position. I've got to run now, but if this topic is live when I get back I may try to find the court decisions themselves.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#6WalrusGrandmaPosted 6/3/2011 4:55:10 PM
lol Texas does it again.
#7xXxCroNoxXxPosted 6/3/2011 5:07:13 PM
This isn't all that clear actually, but yeah, I think I think it'll get overturned. Santa Fe Independent School Dist. v. Doe seems to be the most relevant case here.
#8ledzepfan15Posted 6/3/2011 5:10:49 PM
lol Texas does it again.

They just can't stop can they?
---
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro
#9FoxTheSwiftPosted 6/3/2011 5:11:18 PM
I agree with Kozlo here. And it has absolutely nothing to do with him being a sexy beast.
#10LinkFanaticPosted 6/3/2011 5:38:22 PM
I would like to continue the trend of: what kozlo said.
---
SSJ Gotenks is santa clause, because he can fly around the planet in one night. - ShaolinAced