This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Federal judge lifts ban on prayer in Texas graduation

#41LeKingJamesPosted 6/5/2011 3:15:46 PM
fantastic. i wish most states has the good conservative values that texas has
---
AKA LeRing James, LeGod James, LeBest James, LeChamp James, LeJordan James, LeClutch James, LeGend James, LeJames James, LeBeast James
#42the_hedonistPosted 6/5/2011 7:46:03 PM
Dagorha posted...
Really now because before you even get a chance to appeal to a federal level you need to go through the state last i checked and if the Texan government said "yup, this in no way violated the constitution" not only are they liable but they are more so liable then any other party sans the school for allowing this to go on as far as it did.

Actually, no. I cannot remember all the details from my polysci and business law classes, but I do know that, in some cases, you can go straight to a federal court. From reading the AP article, all I can tell is that the matter has gone to two courts - a U.S. District Court (which is federal) and a U.S. Court of Appeals (also federal). There is no mention of any state court being involved. Again, I do not remember all the jurisdiction rules, so I suppose it is possible that there was a local or state court involved in there sometime earlier, but neither article I read indicated anything like that. I do know that there are cases in which you must go to the federal court and there are cases where you can decide whether you want a federal or state court to hear it.

It doesn't matter, though. The federal U.S. District Court ruled that the prayer would not be allowed. The decision was appealed, and the federal U.S. Court of Appeals granted the emergency appeal and overturned the decision.
---
Everything that doesn't have to do with elephants is irrelephant.
~The Christian Hedonist~
#43BananganatorPosted 6/7/2011 5:43:49 PM
Bleh. They prayed at my older brother's graduation. It was terrible.I loudly announced how illegal it was.
---
It's Montana, there were probably two horses in the top 10. -goonermx
#44StarTailsPosted 6/9/2011 6:25:35 PM
Old definition of the separation of church and state = "congress shall pass no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

New definition of the separation of church and state = "Congress shall pass no law respecting an establishment of religion and shall prohibit the free exercise thereof on government property and anywhere else government so wishes."
---
---There is no love without commitment, the level of commitment shows the degree of love.