This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Homosexuality and Religion

#1dmmaby229Posted 6/3/2011 10:02:44 PM
Well this will be interesting...

While other churches have similar opinions -- and this topic is not specifically for your opinions on the decision of this one church, but rather, the opinions of all churches that have similar opinions -- my church of choice is as follows. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) has, for a long time, been quite accepting of gay people. Just recently (in August of 2009), they allowed persons who are in lifelong, monogamous, same-gender relationships to be ordained into the ministry. Other churches have done similar, with some churches going so far as to bless same-sex unions. What do you think? Should churches be this accepting of gay people? Are you glad that they've come to this point? Do you believe that homosexuality is sin, and therefore should not be condoned? And, even if a church is accepting of such people in their parish, should they be allowed to be pastors?

I would rather this not turn into a debate, though. I want your opinion, and your opinion only. I don't want your opinion on someone else's opinion, and how their opinion is wrong.
---
May happiness find you and yours...and remember that bad times are just times that are bad.
-Katrina, AC:CF
#2CDNfrnePosted 6/3/2011 10:03:50 PM
It is a sin, but like among many other things, people adapt.
---
It's like the autistic kid at the mall, trying to pick up chicks by talking about Pokemon and Thundercats. ****'s weak, yo. - icheat
#3FoxTheSwiftPosted 6/3/2011 10:13:45 PM
People will debate, its a fact of the board. If you make a topic and post 1000 rules, everyone will happily break all of them out of spite :P
#4dmmaby229(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2011 10:18:49 PM
I know, but I figured I'd try...
---
May happiness find you and yours...and remember that bad times are just times that are bad.
#5mortal_snowPosted 6/3/2011 10:21:49 PM
People should accept gays in the church congregation but not as any officials in the church. They may become members of the church at most. We should open up to gays to try and help them but we should not offer any kind of leadership role in the church.
---
Jesus lives!
Go Braves!
#6dmmaby229(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2011 10:26:32 PM
Do you believe homosexuality is a sin, and they should reform?
---
#7mortal_snowPosted 6/3/2011 10:36:54 PM
Do you believe homosexuality is a sin, and they should reform?

It is definitely a sin. BUT we as Christians should still witness to them trying to bring them away from their sins. We can't condemn them because they are gay. But if they continue to sin then we can't help them.
---
Jesus lives!
Go Braves!
#8SuibomPosted 6/3/2011 10:37:16 PM
I believe it's a sin and one that any Christian should repent from. I don't believe that the Bible is unclear in God's stance towards it. What the world does is between them and God, but for anyone saying they belong to Christ AND saying they're gay, that is an unacceptable position (no pun intended) to
hold.
---
"Forget global warming! What are we gonna do about universal cooling?"
#9CDNfrnePosted 6/3/2011 10:39:40 PM
Ah, Christians in their wild habitat.
---
It's like the autistic kid at the mall, trying to pick up chicks by talking about Pokemon and Thundercats. ****'s weak, yo. - icheat
#10the_hedonistPosted 6/4/2011 8:17:58 AM
I believe it is a sin. I think it's silly for Christians to argue about it being a choice because it is really irrelevant to the question. It has never mattered for any other questions about sin. And it is quite clear to me that it is not a choice. I think the Bible is really clear that it is sinful, and that you have to do a lot of sketchy things to the text to make it not say that. I believe that fellow Christians should walk alongside those who struggle with it. We should not reject them, but help them if they want it. I do believe it is possible to change, but change is going to come slowly and may not come at all for some people, so it is necessary that the church is willing to be there for the people who are struggling. I do support samesex marriage (not in the church, but in the US) because not everyone is Christian. I also find it sad and silly that sexual orientation has become such a big part of our personal identity. I believe that repentant gay Christians can be pastors as long as it will not be a stumbling block in their ministry.
---
Everything that doesn't have to do with elephants is irrelephant.
~The Christian Hedonist~