This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Homosexuality and Religion

#71pennydemonPosted 6/6/2011 1:50:04 PM
the final bahamut posted...
The purpose of sexual attraction is to make babies. Homosexual couples cannot produce children on their own. Therefore, there is something wrong with the homosexual sex drive.

Actually there are many beneficial aspects of homosexuality in pack animals when viewed from an evolutionary pov. Also, one of our closest cousins, the Bonobo, has a "culture" built around same-sex sex. Part of one of the things a young Bonobo female must do when seeking to be part of a new group is to scissor sister with the matriarch of the group to the point of orgasm. If young Bonobo women weren't engaging in hot, lesbian, monkey sex bonobo cultures wouldn't be able to function at all.

That's interesting, but human civilizations wouldn't fall apart if there were no homosexuals.

And people keep trying to prove a point to me that I agree with and have already made - Homosexuality is NATURAL. It occurs all the time in other animals. But sexuality isn't really an open-source thing, and people aren't all pansexual. Most people are born straight, hence homosexuality is not the default. Most people don't have Asperger's. I do, and I don't think that's the default either. (Sorry I keep bringing up the Asperger's thing, but I think it's a good analogy.)
---
I'm afraid, Dave.
#72the final bahamutPosted 6/6/2011 1:52:42 PM
That's interesting, but human civilizations wouldn't fall apart if there were no homosexuals.

And a lot of early human groups probably prospered from having homosexuals. As previously mentioned it makes evolutionary sense for pack animals to have a few gays around.

Also: Current thinking is that most people probably are bisexual.
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#73pennydemonPosted 6/7/2011 10:46:34 AM
the final bahamut posted...

And a lot of early human groups probably prospered from having homosexuals. As previously mentioned it makes evolutionary sense for pack animals to have a few gays around.

I don't like men.
---
I'm afraid, Dave.
#74squareandrarePosted 6/7/2011 11:37:33 AM(edited)
The difference between Asperger's and homosexuality is that Asperger's is recognized as psychological disorder. It can impair the ability to perform some important day-to-day tasks. Homosexuality simply doesn't do that.

Note: I've only read the most recent posts... sorry if this got covered earlier.
---
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman
#75squareandrarePosted 6/7/2011 11:42:48 AM

I imagine that they're using a very generous definition of "bisexual."

Truly, I've never been attracted to another guy, not for a second. I fully support gay rights, and I would admit it if I had, but I've truly never had any gay urges.

Actually, now that I think about it, I did once, but I was on acid at the time, so I don't think that really counts.
---
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman
#76the final bahamutPosted 6/7/2011 11:59:03 AM
I don't like men.

Oh my goodness gracious, the collective body of scientific work on human sexuality falls apart now! You should have said something sooner!

Seriously, what am I supposed to do with that information? Honestly it looks like a case of "doth protest" more than anything else. What were the reason for that statement?

I imagine that they're using a very generous definition of "bisexual."

Not really, but they're trying to correct for societal bias.

Truly, I've never been attracted to another guy, not for a second. I fully support gay rights, and I would admit it if I had, but I've truly never had any gay urges.

Actually, now that I think about it, I did once, but I was on acid at the time, so I don't think that really counts.

While I can't say for sure what the situation of tour drugged-Ness were, drugs do not generally cause one's sexuality to change.

It is true, though, that during a severe manic phase, a patient can lose all inhibitions and become strongly sexualizing towards members of both sexes, though its interesting to note that this only happens to most patient, but far from all, regardless of severity of attack.
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#77dmmaby229(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2011 10:17:19 PM
Ok, now I want to steer this topic in a different direction. I do apologize in advance if I offend Jehovah's Witnesses in this post, as this is not my intention. Preferably, I would also like the feedback of Jehovah's Witnesses, and see their opinions on what follows.

Homosexual activity is considered a 'serious sin' for Jehovah's Witnesses, which may require disfellowshipping, if the individual does not reform. Before I continue, for those of you who are not familiar with 'disfellowshipping', when a member is deemed unrepentant, and chooses to continue on with their sinful acts (not just homosexual acts, but, anything considered a 'serious sin') is expelled from the congregation, and thus shunned. Therefore, Jehovah's Witnesses are no longer allowed to converse, or, have any type of a relationship with this person. From my understanding of all this, say that a homosexual were to grow up in a Jehovah's Witness household. This person -- I'm not only talking about Jehovah's Witnesses, but, all people who hold similar beliefs on homosexuality -- is taught that homosexuality is wrong, and a sin, punishable by the aforementioned ways. I would assume, then, that a homosexual person (now keep in mind, this is by the standards of those who think that homosexuality is not a sin, but rather that some people are born homosexual) is, in a way, forced to be not themselves. I say that because, using an example, a homosexual person grows up in a Jehovah's Witness family, and is told that, should they decide to act on these 'sinful thoughts', they will be disfellowshipped, and allowed no longer to have any relations with their family. What do you think of that? Do think that people should be allowed to 'force' their children into being straight, with their only alternative being that they would have to leave their family, friends, church, and thus, all that they know? I would also like input not just from those outside situations like these, but, also, Jehovah's Witnesses themselves, or people who practice similar beliefs in regards to homosexuality. I also do hope that a Jehovah's Witness would correct me, should there be any errors in this post.
---
May happiness find you and yours...and remember that bad times are just times that are bad.
-Katrina, AC:CF