This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are demons sentient?

#1IwantedzeroPosted 6/5/2011 11:00:48 PM
Like, do they have a cognitive thinking process like humans do, or are they more like animals, instinctively driven with little to no thought to their actions?
---
Trust me, I'm a random stranger on the internet.
Live long, be happy, and try to ensure those around you do as well.
#2CIA911Posted 6/5/2011 11:03:15 PM
I'd have to conclude based on the gospels and the fact that they have possessed people and when they do they talk just like we would that they are sentient.
---
Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that this place shall no more be called Tophet, nor The valley of the son of Hinnom, but The valley of slaughter.
#3GuideToTheDarkPosted 6/5/2011 11:07:03 PM
Eh, with the resources God n' Satan have, I wouldn't be surprised if they were just really high level coding.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.
#4Iwantedzero(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2011 11:29:25 PM
I'd have to conclude based on the gospels and the fact that they have possessed people and when they do they talk just like we would that they are sentient.

Is it not possible they can use the possessed one's brain to allow themselves to speak like we would? I mean, if a demon got a hold of a person's body, that would include their brain, so they'd be sentient through the possessed, right?

Eh, with the resources God n' Satan have, I wouldn't be surprised if they were just really high level coding.

So smart but not sentient? Like apes?
---
#5GuideToTheDarkPosted 6/6/2011 12:51:32 AM
More like programmed with a limited number of responses. They can take in information relevant to goal only.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.
#6Scorpion122178Posted 6/6/2011 7:42:50 AM
Iwantedzero posted...

Is it not possible they can use the possessed one's brain to allow themselves to speak like we would? I mean, if a demon got a hold of a person's body, that would include their brain, so they'd be sentient through the possessed, right?

Great apes have the ability to recognize themselves in a mirror, they have also been observed empathising with blind people covering their own eyes to simulate the experience. All of this is proof that they are in fact sentient. They're just more Id then ego. At any rate Humans and Great Apes have a lot more in common then most people care to admit.

Also demons and devils don't exist. Boogymen from the dark ages that all they are.
---
GT: Scorpion0489
Pokemon White Friend Code: 2923-8802-0297
#7kozlo100Posted 6/6/2011 9:20:02 AM

Other way 'round, I think. Apes show signs of sentience, but aren't terribly smart. Think robots, particularly fictional ones as an example. Those can be very smart, but lack any sentience at all.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#8Iwantedzero(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2011 6:47:01 PM
Also demons and devils don't exist. Boogymen from the dark ages that all they are.

That doesn't mean there isn't a mythology about them. I'm not asking what they are in real life, I'm just asking what we're supposed to believe they are.

Other way 'round, I think. Apes show signs of sentience, but aren't terribly smart. Think robots, particularly fictional ones as an example. Those can be very smart, but lack any sentience at all.

That makes sense I suppose.
---
#9WaruigiPosted 6/6/2011 7:11:02 PM
CIA911 posted...

Read Jesus' interactions with spirits in Mark carefully. Do they speak to one another as if they were enemies?
---
"I'm no longer surprised by how long and how earnestly people can talk about absolute rubbish." -shockwavepulsarjim
#10FoxTheSwiftPosted 6/6/2011 7:15:52 PM
Aren't demons just fallen angels? There is no real indication that they have free will, and I think the opposite is true actually, in Christian mythology, so I'd say they are smart but not sentient too.