This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you give up your beliefs if they were evil? Wait for it...

#1AeroSenninPosted 6/6/2011 1:57:36 AM
BEFORE finding an alternative?

Some people insist on finding an alternative first. They gleefully continue believing evil things, because they don't have an alternative means to make sense of the world. One is almost led to think that they want to continue believing evil things.

Suppose there was a person who didn't accept evolutionary psychology. He thought that to accept evolutionary psychology consistently, meant being a racist. Secretly, he was already a racist. He thought it was safe to be a racist as long as he couldn't justify his beliefs. He had no evidence for his beliefs at all. He was worried about accepting evolutionary psychology because he thought it would justify them.

There are a variety of ways to get him to give up his beliefs. But he wouldn't do it until he found an alternative. He never did find one, because he didn't understand that to explore an alternative means giving up the current. Is he intelligent, or stupid? Is he praiseworthy, or ridiculous?
---
We fly high, no lie, you know this (balling!)
#2GuideToTheDarkPosted 6/6/2011 2:03:43 AM
This whole premise seems pretty ridiculous. Safe to be a racist if you can't justify it? What?
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.
#3JamesB0ndOO7Posted 6/6/2011 2:11:39 AM
He thought it was safe to be a racist as long as he couldn't justify his beliefs.

That makes logical sense. That's how all beliefs should be held. If I believe that the Earth is round and I have reason to believe so, then I should believe so until I no longer have reason to believe so.

because he didn't understand that to explore an alternative means giving up the current.

Um, no? Looking at other ideas and keeping an open mind about alternative theories is not giving up one's current view. In fact, one should do that pretty often.

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. ~1 Thessalonians 5:21
---
There's no shame in being ashamed of yourself ~TheGeneralPublic
I love plenty of men. ~the hedonist
#4GuideToTheDarkPosted 6/6/2011 2:35:20 AM
That makes logical sense. That's how all beliefs should be held. If I believe that the Earth is round and I have reason to believe so, then I should believe so until I no longer have reason to believe so.

What? He has no proof of his belief so it's...logical?

Maybe I need sleep or I'm reading something wrong.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.
#5JamesB0ndOO7Posted 6/6/2011 2:52:05 AM
What? He has no proof of his belief so it's...logical?

His conclusion is faulty but his logic is good. If one believes that one has a good reason to believe something, then he should believe it until shown otherwise. Of course, in reality, he has nothing to back up what he says, but he believes he does. Therefore, he should believe it until he is convinced otherwise.
---
There's no shame in being ashamed of yourself ~TheGeneralPublic
I love plenty of men. ~the hedonist
#6OnceInALifeTimePosted 6/6/2011 4:40:23 AM
Or ignorant.
---
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake
#7AeroSennin(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2011 5:36:31 AM
GuideToTheDark posted...
This whole premise seems pretty ridiculous. Safe to be a racist if you can't justify it? What?

The man thought it was safe. That's his own point of view. He's mentally ill and, if he found the justification for his racism, he would feel compelled to act. The man has a predictable character. If he thought he knew it was certainly true there were inferior races, then he would immediately turn to exterminating them. He believes in necessity and he feels he has a mission in life. He also wears diapers when his partner's not home, because he likes baby play.
---
#8AeroSennin(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2011 5:38:45 AM
JamesB0ndOO7 posted...
He thought it was safe to be a racist as long as he couldn't justify his beliefs.

No, as I said in my post, the man has no evidence at all. Evidence is what he's deathly afraid of.
---
#9kozlo100Posted 6/6/2011 9:30:43 AM
I think I get it.

This guy is a racist to begin with, but he knows at least on some level that's wrong. He's afraid of finding justification for his racism, because he fears that if he does he'll become an active and zealous racist.

I suppose it's better that he avoid that outcome, but realistically he's just lying to himself, and I don't think that's a wise course of action. One wonders why he doesn't just build on his instinct that racism is a bad thing.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#10SilviiroPosted 6/6/2011 9:39:03 AM
Beliefs are either right or wrong, you don't have to like them.
---
"I have offended God and mankind because my work didn't reach the quality it should have." -- Leonardo da Vinci