This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did God allow for the potential of evil in the first place?

#1Demonwing13Posted 6/7/2011 6:44:55 AM
If killing people simply wasn't a possibility, it would be about as much free will as our inability to sprout wings and fly
---
Insanity Prelude
Starcraft 2 - Chrona/389
#2Scorpion122178Posted 6/7/2011 6:56:42 AM
I don't really get where your coming from, but this looks to be another problem of evil topic. In which case the question is posed if God is all knowing, all powerful, and all good why does he allow things like 12 year olds with leukemia to happen. The point being an omnibenevolent God wouldn't allow it to happen, of course the theist folks will go ahead and argue the whole "God works in mysterious ways." nonsense.

As for why people do evil things I think a british philosopher hit pretty close to home when he talks about the "Idea of Evil" How on earth would we determine what is right and good if their was no such thing as evil. They logically can't exist w/o each other
---
GT: Scorpion0489
Pokemon White Friend Code: 2923-8802-0297
#3DagorhaPosted 6/7/2011 6:57:42 AM
Wow that was mighty impressive. I'm pretty sure i at one point made that exact argument almost word for word. Well if you are anything like me any answer that a theist will give you will be completely unsatisfying if not infuriating so i'd suggest not getting into this conversation.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#4Demonwing13(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2011 7:03:22 AM
Unsatisfying? Nah, I'm just curious as to the types of responses I'd get. Just a random thing that I thought of
---
Insanity Prelude
Starcraft 2 - Chrona/389
#5DagorhaPosted 6/7/2011 7:04:21 AM
fair enough
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#6MJackMageePosted 6/7/2011 11:54:38 AM(edited)
Wait, is that what your question means? It seems very different from the tt. I thought you were asking why the tree was in the garden. That's a fairly simple answer. Choice can not exist with out the ability to choose.
---
Humans will only notice when the probability does not go their way.
-Thanatos2k-
#7mercuryinkPosted 6/7/2011 12:38:27 PM
Why "allow" evil? Because free will is meaningless if the choices are between azure, cyan, blue, and sapphire.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#8Wu_ZonghaiPosted 6/8/2011 3:52:49 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9JacK_1S_BKPosted 6/8/2011 4:52:08 AM
"of course the theist folks will go ahead and argue the whole "God works in mysterious ways." nonsense. "

LGA, you've got to love those sweeping generalisations.
---
BACK
Jack has done nothing but...acts all innocent and... he honestly thought he was being helpful...~~HylianWarrior