This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did god really think things through when he made jellyfish immortal?

#1FoxTheSwiftPosted 6/8/2011 5:20:09 PM
Well, did he? More evidence your god is probably a lovecraftian horror =P
#2sthaterPosted 6/8/2011 5:23:25 PM(edited)
Haha... yeah if you really think about jellyfish really are kind of creepy. From what I understand they don't even have any actual brain to speak of(though they do have a nervous system). So they're basically just floating around instantly reacting to anything touching their tentacles.
---
Like my loafers? Former gophers -It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
Part of the presidential triumvirate of board 666
#3FoxTheSwift(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2011 5:25:29 PM
Kind of creepy? I will never, ever go into an ocean. Not in a million years. All because of these creatures.
#4sthaterPosted 6/8/2011 5:28:11 PM

Kind of creepy? I will never, ever go into an ocean. Not in a million years. All because of these creatures.

Hahaha yeah they are just kind of creepy to me I mean I've been out on the ocean plenty of times and I've seen them washed up on shore before so idk. They would certainly have my vote as being among the most bizarre animals on earth.
---
Like my loafers? Former gophers -It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
Part of the presidential triumvirate of board 666
#5JamesB0ndOO7Posted 6/8/2011 6:26:05 PM
I think jellyfish are cute.
---
There's no shame in being ashamed of yourself ~TheGeneralPublic
I love plenty of men. ~the hedonist
#6Jamaal_CharlesPosted 6/8/2011 6:31:55 PM
I never really thought about the fact that jellyfish don't even have brains. Do jellyfish even have a conscious if they don't have a brain? Or is our conscious not linked to our brain?
---
RagedBull
http://oi56.tinypic.com/1zgfh5j.jpg
#7GuideToTheDarkPosted 6/8/2011 7:09:34 PM
You know what's really freaky? Some aren't even a single organism. Man-o-wars are a collective of organisms working together.

There's also these jellyfish in a Japanese coast the size of minivans, and they reproduce so fast that it's more like a sea of jellyfish that happens to have water in it.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.
#8Ness0123456789Posted 6/8/2011 7:11:33 PM
GuideToTheDark posted...
You know what's really freaky? Some aren't even a single organism. Man-o-wars are a collective of organisms working together.

There's also these jellyfish in a Japanese coast the size of minivans, and they reproduce so fast that it's more like a sea of jellyfish that happens to have water in it.

And this is why I refuse to swim in oceans.

Also why I feel that oceans are giant cesspools of lovecraftian horror.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#9cyclonekrusePosted 6/8/2011 7:19:46 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...
Also why I feel that oceans are giant cesspools of lovecraftian horror.

There's also some really cool stuff in the oceans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckP8msIgMYE
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
Locke: "It's never been easy!"
#10GuideToTheDarkPosted 6/8/2011 7:28:42 PM
Mantis shrimp can see most of the light spectrum and create explosions wih their claws, like half the predators can be invisible whenever, and then there's the vampire squid. Which looks, and probably murders, exactly how you think it does.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.