This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Polygamy, legal in Christianity

#1noble bananaPosted 6/9/2011 4:25:49 AM
The one's that will only have one wife are the overseers and deacons as said in the bible. Anybody else knows this?
---
GRANFALOON ROCKS!!!!
#2SuibomPosted 6/9/2011 5:14:32 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3SuibomPosted 6/9/2011 5:20:05 AM
Scripturally, I believe you're correct, though I've heard that the passage you mentioned is talking about marriage/divorce rather than actual number of spouses.

Practically and legally, at least in America, fat chance.

Speaking as a man who is married, let me say this: though the thought of having more than one wife is obviously appealing in a sexual way, I don't know if I would really want more than one wife in my house. What her and I have is special and unique to us, and I enjoy knowing that it's her and I and nobody else.

But for a couple that can handle polygamy, I have no qualms with it, spiritually or otherwise.
---
"Forget global warming! What are we gonna do about universal cooling?"
#4MJackMageePosted 6/9/2011 6:10:47 AM
There is also the problem of treating each wife as one should. I have enough trouble doing so with one wife.
---
Humans will only notice when the probability does not go their way.
-Thanatos2k-
#5rawchiefPosted 6/9/2011 7:03:31 AM
Another verse from scripture that I think we can use to infer that it is not sinful in of itself is the parable of the 10 virgins. Matt 25:1-13.

While the parable itself has to do with Christ's second coming, the fact that he uses a guy about to take on 10 wives lets us infer as a reader that polygamy in of itself is not sinful.

However, due to the fact it is against the law, polygamy becomes a sin for us imho.
If it was ever to be legalized, I think Christians should be allowed to pursue a polygamous relationship as long as they are not in a leadership position at church.
#6actarusPosted 6/9/2011 7:06:27 AM
Not for real Christians.

Matthew 19:5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?
---
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark
#7Weird onePosted 6/9/2011 8:54:16 AM
I'm kind of iffy on this.

Based on what I've seen it looks like polygamy primarily comes from a patriarchal viewpoint. Where wealthy and powerful men will attempt to show off by having many beautiful women at their disposal.

It reeks of sexism to me. I think polygamy should be rejected by egalitarian Christians for those reasons.

On a personal note, I don't think I could handle two or more wives. I'm afraid that I would pick one to be mentally and emotionally intimate with while the others would get neglected in that department.

I would rather those additional women get into meaningful relationships of their own instead of being a version of friends with benefits.
---
The complex numbers consist of all numbers a + bi with a,b as real numbers.
If b = 0 you're left with reals, so reality is only a subset of your imagination.
#8kozlo100Posted 6/9/2011 9:16:43 AM
As far as I'm aware, all instances of poligamy in the bible are specifically of polygyny. One husband, multiple wives, no marital link from the wives to each other.

I'm curiose as to what the opinion is on polyandry or full group marriage. Polyandry being the inverse of polygyny, gender-wise, and group marriage being many husbands and wives all with marital links to each other, including husband to husband and wife to wife.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#9GuideToTheDarkPosted 6/9/2011 9:20:11 AM
I don't know if I would really want more than one wife in my house. What her and I have is special and unique to us, and I enjoy knowing that it's her and I and nobody else, and no sane man can deal with more than one wife at a time.

fix'd
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.
#10SuibomPosted 6/9/2011 9:31:50 AM
GuideToTheDark posted...

fix'd

That's funny, and likely so true.
---
"Forget global warming! What are we gonna do about universal cooling?"