This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Polygamy, legal in Christianity

#11rawchiefPosted 6/9/2011 10:27:28 AM
kozlo100 posted...
As far as I'm aware, all instances of poligamy in the bible are specifically of polygyny. One husband, multiple wives, no marital link from the wives to each other.

I'm curiose as to what the opinion is on polyandry or full group marriage. Polyandry being the inverse of polygyny, gender-wise, and group marriage being many husbands and wives all with marital links to each other, including husband to husband and wife to wife.

I'm pretty sure that all Christians would be against group marriage.
As far as polyandry, I suspect most would be against that as well but it would come down to how you fall on the interpretation of scripture.
#12Weird onePosted 6/9/2011 10:57:12 AM
From what I remember of polyandry it looks like only one husband is usually present at a time. The others are away from the house for a specific amount of time.

The only other form of polyandry I've heard of is fraternal polyandry where a man and all of his brothers are married to the same woman.

I don't know if it would be good for modern Western society though.

Off-topic,
About something being "legal" in Christianity. I don't like using the term legal/illegal in Christianity because it implies that there is a specific "right" form of Christianity and "right" way of doing things.

Usually both people in a Christian argument can quote verses supporting their point of view. But we shouldn't let minor disagreements put Christian against Christian.

I like the way one youth Pastor of mine put it though. Instead of trying to decide whether something is "legal" in Christianity try to decide whether it exhibits Christ like character. In other words if you can't picture Jesus doing it then think twice about it.
---
The complex numbers consist of all numbers a + bi with a,b as real numbers.
If b = 0 you're left with reals, so reality is only a subset of your imagination.
#13DagorhaPosted 6/9/2011 12:46:38 PM
personally, i think that way of thinking is just going to cause more issues.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#14kozlo100Posted 6/9/2011 1:10:56 PM
I don't know if it would be good for modern Western society though.

Well, that's sort of a different question. There's lots of things that are biblically permissible, but not particularly good for western civilization.

I also do want to hear an opinion on the kind of polyandry where it is one woman and multiple men who are not brothers all living in the same household, even if that type has not been widely practiced historically.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#15the_hedonistPosted 6/9/2011 6:06:15 PM
There is no instance of polygamy which is explicitly condoned or encouraged in the Bible. As a matter of fact, it could be argued that most (if not all) polygamists in the Bible had moral failures because of their polygamy. Also, Jesus says that Old Testament standards for holiness in regards to marriage were less strict because of the hardness of heart of the ancient Israelites, and I would lump in the no divorce clause with the polygamy clause. The main biblical model seems to be monogamy.

That being said, while there is no explicit condoning of polygamy, there is also no explicit condemnation of polygamy in the Bible. I am of the opinion that it is not the ideal model for a Christian and should be heavily discouraged.
---
Everything that doesn't have to do with elephants is irrelephant.
~The Christian Hedonist~
#16gamesrgreatPosted 6/13/2011 12:50:03 PM(edited)

There is no instance of polygamy which is explicitly condoned or encouraged in the Bible. As a matter of fact, it could be argued that most (if not all) polygamists in the Bible had moral failures because of their polygamy. Also, Jesus says that Old Testament standards for holiness in regards to marriage were less strict because of the hardness of heart of the ancient Israelites, and I would lump in the no divorce clause with the polygamy clause. The main biblical model seems to be monogamy.

That smacks of a modern reader inserting his own values into the text

If Jesus wanted to condemn polygamy he coulda done it. Why do you lump it in with divorce when he didn't speak on it? The only thing you can reasonably conclude is that the Judeo-Christian God is down for some sexism and polygamy
---
Cyclops has never beaten Wolverine
The Miami Heat
#17Chaos ScadePosted 6/16/2011 9:08:06 PM
noble banana posted...
The one's that will only have one wife are the overseers and deacons as said in the bible. Anybody else knows this?

My understanding is that this refers to the issue of polygamists who converted to Christianity and that was part of the working out of their prerogatives.
---
Taste the fountain of immortality.
http://i43.tinypic.com/iqehc6.jpg
#18noble banana(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2011 7:44:35 PM
Grayhelm posted...
kozlo100 posted...
As far as I'm aware, all instances of poligamy in the bible are specifically of polygyny. One husband, multiple wives, no marital link from the wives to each other.

I'm curiose as to what the opinion is on polyandry or full group marriage. Polyandry being the inverse of polygyny, gender-wise, and group marriage being many husbands and wives all with marital links to each other, including husband to husband and wife to wife.

I'm pretty sure that all Christians would be against group marriage.
As far as polyandry, I suspect most would be against that as well but it would come down to how you fall on the interpretation of scripture.

Yeah, I used wrong, it's just polygyny.
---
GRANFALOON ROCKS!!!!
#19Wu_ZonghaiPosted 6/17/2011 8:11:13 PM
If Jesus wanted to condemn polygamy he coulda done it. Why do you lump it in with divorce when he didn't speak on it?

Oh, but he did speak on divorce.
---
At night, the trolls crawl out from their bridges to dance under the pale moon.