This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think it's wrong as a Christian to want to remove the "fundie" Christians

#1Hypergamer55Posted 6/9/2011 6:00:37 PM
What i mean is, to discourage Christians and Pastors who have the most bizzare beliefs, fears and ideas that hurt Christanity's image/reputation and that they make many non-believers think that all Christians are alike. To make the "fundie" Christians appear as bizzare and crazy as the Westboro Baptist Church. Most Christians don't follow these ideas in my experience and neither do I. What I am talking about is things such as:

9/11 being caused by God rather than terrorists or a possible inside job.

No "secular" music allowed. No drums in church either because the drum's intent was to call evil spirts in tribal villages.

Harry Potter is a bad influence and encourages children into witchcraft.

Pokemon promotes evolution. And apprently the card game is somewhat "evil and demonic" too.

Earthquakes caused by God to punish people.

No reading of books besides the Bible.

Don't say Deviled Eggs, because the word devil is in them. Say Angeled Eggs or Dressed Eggs instead (Katy Perry had to follow this rule growing up)

The Disney movie Cinderella is not allowed to be watched because the cat in the movie is called Lucifer.

A hispanic pastor speaking in Spanish I watched on video years ago was preaching against Mortal Kombat Mythologies:Sub Zero and Resident Evil 2 claiming they promoted evil and suicide. He kept saying something about how Nintendo is evil or something, while holding up photos of the PSX versions of those games.....and I think at the time I watched it, the N64 version of Resident Evil 2 wasn't released yet....

Jesus Camp is a perfect example of the sort of behavior these types of Christians have.

This is just some of the "weirdness" I have seen in Christians that can make us look funny. But pastors who preach these sort of things and get their research from unreliable sources still have followers. Do you think it would be good for intelligent Christians as a group to denounce these sort of ideas/bliefs and claim that they don't represent the majority, like many athiests think?
---
SSBB FC: 2535-3287-0285 Dj.D
#2StarTailsPosted 6/9/2011 6:17:02 PM
I think that people should be allowed to believe whatever they want to believe, no matter how silly or ridiculous it is. Thats just a part of freedom, which I support. We don't have to agree with them, but it does not hurt me that they believe that stuff. Those not trained in critical thinking may make the hasty generalization and think that all Christians are that way, but I wont be making that mistake.
---
---There is no love without commitment, the level of commitment shows the degree of love.
#3xXxCroNoxXxPosted 6/9/2011 6:49:10 PM
So long as they're kept the hell away from the government, let them be. I do feel bad for kids, particularly girls, and homosexuals, who grow up in such a warped environment though.
#4Heineken14Posted 6/9/2011 7:27:41 PM

I think that people should be allowed to believe whatever they want to believe, no matter how silly or ridiculous it is. Thats just a part of freedom, which I support. We don't have to agree with them, but it does not hurt me that they believe that stuff. Those not trained in critical thinking may make the hasty generalization and think that all Christians are that way, but I wont be making that mistake.

Yeah, I often get flack the random times I support WBC for their right to say their bat-s*** lunacy due to me preferring the rights to do so opposed to picking and choosing what people can/can't say.
---
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic
#5StarTailsPosted 6/9/2011 7:54:53 PM
Like or dislike what people say and believe, I think we are all better off having freedom as opposed to having people police what we can and can't say or believe.
---
-Everyone needs logic and critical thinking, especially those who think they already know it-
#6NoTitleRequiredPosted 6/9/2011 8:01:08 PM
No "secular" music allowed. No drums in church either because the drum's intent was to call evil spirts in tribal villages.

It's funny, because I think that only percussion should be the type of instrumentation permitted in church, and that's not even part of my tradition (Byzantine worship is completely vocal, but the Copts utilise some cymbals and drums).
---
Taste the fountain of immortality.
http://i43.tinypic.com/iqehc6.jpg
#7Imperator420Posted 6/10/2011 11:22:27 AM
People should be allowed to hold whatever bizarre beliefs they want, and those beliefs should be protected to the extent that one is not at risk of institutional discrimination or violence on account of holding them. By the same token, an intelligent and well-informed Christian, or a stupid Christian, or an atheist, or a Hindu, should be allowed to denounce any belief they want if they find it harmful (or if they just feel like it).
---
It is unbecoming of young men to utter maxims. - Aristotle