This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bill Maher lays waste to religion

#21king_gimpyPosted 6/16/2011 1:19:59 PM
Retrotastic posted...
There's a difference between a light hearted joke you don't really mean and general mockery which you do mean. I'm all for some constructive criticism where it can be applied to religion rather than "Ohhh they drink the Christs blood aren't they weird!". People have been engaging in some form of religious ritual for the past 100,000 years and I don't think that's going to stop, it's just what people do they get something from it.

And so long as it doesn't stop people will mock it. Hell, I respect Wicca which get's mocked a lot, I don't sit and ***** and moan about it.

What's wrong with looking at a religion and finding something you think is weird and saying so? Why should I respect any certain religious belief if I think it sounds stupid or insane?

For example I think communion, whether viewed as symbolic or not, sounds like ****ing cannibalism and I'd tell a Christian so. Too goddamned bad if they get offended.
---
When I was born the doctor twisted up the facts,
he said that I was a devil son so now I'm having flashbacks.
#22pointyhair01(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2011 4:41:03 PM
I don't think you should have to respect people's religions, or at least not all of the parts of them. Do you respect the people who believe the world is going to end in 2012, and continue respecting them while they're begging their neighbors to give their crap back?
---
Before, all it took for evil to triumph was great men doing nothing. Now it seems evil triumphs if mediocre people do nothing.
http://i48.tinypic.com/ayk2zk.gif
#23sthaterPosted 6/18/2011 5:00:03 PM

There's a difference between a light hearted joke you don't really mean and general mockery which you do mean. I'm all for some constructive criticism where it can be applied to religion rather than "Ohhh they drink the Christs blood aren't they weird!". People have been engaging in some form of religious ritual for the past 100,000 years and I don't think that's going to stop, it's just what people do they get something from it.

.... Dude good comedy should make people uncomfortable. If you aren't then you're not doing your job well as a comedian.
---
Like my loafers? Former gophers -It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
Part of the presidential triumvirate of board 666