This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: "Fundies" are as ignorant towards the bible as they are towards evolution

#1Imperator420Posted 6/16/2011 3:44:34 PM
Exactly what it says on the can.
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#2SirThinkALotPosted 6/16/2011 3:57:29 PM
Deny
---
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
PSN name: SirThinkALot
#3Wu_ZonghaiPosted 6/16/2011 4:08:25 PM
CONFIRM
---
At night, the trolls crawl out from their bridges to dance under the pale moon.
#4LinkFanaticPosted 6/16/2011 4:11:35 PM
In my experience, confirm. However, I should note that it really depends on how you define the word "fundamentalist", as that word doesn't seem to have one set definition.
---
SSJ Gotenks is santa clause, because he can fly around the planet in one night. - ShaolinAced
#5waferbreadPosted 6/16/2011 4:53:33 PM
D...but not by much
---
...but otherwise empty. No planets, no meteorites.
If anything, perhaps fine dust clouds of exploded music
#6AtomicItalianPosted 6/16/2011 5:11:39 PM
What constitutes a fundy?
---
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 1 John 3:16
#7mgtonvac55Posted 6/16/2011 6:05:21 PM
D

Kinda. Fundies don't know anything about Evolution. At the very least they've got some passages from the bible they like memorized.

Damn close, though.
---
NYY 39-28
#8Imperator420(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2011 3:30:42 PM
Kinda. Fundies don't know anything about Evolution. At the very least they've got some passages from the bible they like memorized.

They may have some passages in the bible memorized, but their understanding of the historical context, the original intent of the authors, and the meaning of the words as rendered in Hebrew or Greek, are all defenestrated in order to reduce cognitive dissonance.

Good point regardless, though.
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#9TheGreatJiraiyaPosted 6/18/2011 3:39:32 PM
I will say that many Christians - I dont call them fundies I call them "cultural Christians" in my head because they are the product of a pseudoChristian culture, bred to say they are Christian and keep a dusty old Bible on the coffee table that they never read but appear to believe it is a list of political stances - do exist who are rather ignorant towards Christianity and its teachings. And I have read a book that did a statistical analysis of the various demographics in the US and their attitude towards Christianity and although I dont remember what it said in its exact detail, I do know that like half of the people who call themselves Christians dont believe some basic tenants of Christianity and dont know that they are basic tenants of Christianity.

When a person doesnt know about something, they slide into their cultural default. In the US, thats apathetic pseudoChristianity.

But dont let this group fool you. Under the layer that is the most annoying and least educated that you see on the news is a group of people who genuinely care about their religion and do understand what it teaches and do try to live it out.
---
"I am the Roman Emperor, and above grammar" -Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
#10Imperator420(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2011 3:48:43 PM
My girlfriend is a Christian, and she's intelligent enough as well as sincere in her faith, so I know such people exist; then again, she's not a "fundie," and I still think she and all you other people are crazy.
---