This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

San Francisco to vote on banning circumcision, goldfish

#161fudrickPosted 6/20/2011 11:04:40 AM
mercuryink posted...
Jews don't write the Hebrew names of our deity on anything that can be erased, defiled, or destroyed (Jewish print bibles are disposed of very solemnly, according to certain rites, on a day called Tisha B'Av). Most of the names we do use in conversation are placeholders. such as HaShem (lit. The Name). As a part of tradition, but not binding Jewish law, a lot of us refrain from writing out the words in other languages, like English.

Oh. That's kinda dumb <.< I mean aren't you just going around that rule by leaving the O out?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#162squareandrarePosted 6/20/2011 11:30:11 AM
I'm illiterate because you're stupid. Classic.

There's a difference between not being able to read and simply not caring what you've written. If you had a legitimate argument, you would have said it by now. I'll try to pay more attention to your irrelevant quibbles from now on.
---
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman
#163mercuryink(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2011 12:48:48 PM(edited)
Oh. That's kinda dumb <.< I mean aren't you just going around that rule by leaving the O out?

This must be a running gag.
I think literacy is just something that comes with belief in G-d. When you stop; your literacy, must atrophy. Except that most of the atheists I know with salt in their beards can read... Quite the conundrum we have here....

I mean, I just said it's not a law. How can you go around a nonexistent law?

It's a bit of extra effort we go through to nod our heads at the law, and say, "yes, we haven't forgotten you." Thhere's no Jewish law that says a thirteenth birthday party calls for a party. It's a tradition among semi-secularized western Jews. The fact that it isn't a law like "Don't eat pork" won't change too many people's behavior any more than pointing out to MTV that spring break is a folkway, not a law, might.

Oi vey. This is the second time I've had to correct you on something silly. And we're agreeing on the greater topic, by and large, so I don't want to be too mean. I hate to hold up what seems to be a nice guy and say, "Look, you angtheist schmucks, evidence that nobody is inherently better than anyone else, no matter what the believe as far as gods go". And then we have two guys here in this very topic that can't read three words without adding a fourth one that was never there. And I apologize for using you for these purposes, but you're rewriting what I say and then calling the result stupid, and thus have opened the door to my scorn like the vampires of lore.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#164fudrickPosted 6/20/2011 12:50:30 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#165the final bahamutPosted 6/20/2011 12:54:09 PM
Did I say the word law? Learn to read you illiterate f***.

You said rule. What rule?
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#166OzymandiasIVPosted 6/20/2011 1:06:29 PM
fudrick | Posted 6/20/2011 4:50:30 PM | message detail | quote
mercuryink posted...
I mean, I just said it's not a law. How can you go around a nonexistent law?

Did I say the word law? Learn to read....

Calm down, dude. They don't want to write the Word God on something that isn't going to last, so they write it G-d. It's that simple. It's not really skirting anything, because they didn't write the whole word, so it doesn't count, and everyone knows exactly what was meant. You wanted to know why it happens, that's your answer.
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#167OzymandiasIVPosted 6/20/2011 1:07:01 PM
That was a fast moderation. I quoted him, typed out the message, and it was gone by the time I hit post.
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#168mercuryink(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2011 9:10:22 AM
And apparently I was wrong about singling out an otherwise nice guy. Let no man say I'm uncharitable.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#169CIA911Posted 6/21/2011 12:56:54 PM
Person A:

"Why is it so cold in here ?"

Person B:

"Come on man, it's not that frigid."

Person A:

DID I SAY THE WORD FRIGID YOU ****** IDIOT !!
---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?
#170bsballa09Posted 6/22/2011 2:40:37 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/10/russell-crowes-anti-circumcision-twitter_n_874650.html

Russel Crowes Tweet on Circumcision: T3H CIRCUMCISION IS BARBARIC!1!! WHO ARE YOU TO CUT OFF YOUR BABIES FORESKIN. THEY'RE PERFECT!!!1! I BELIEVE IN T3H G0000D!!!1

Russel Crowes Tweet on Abortion: It's ok for parents to kill their baby so they aren't forced to be parents. I believe in God.

<3 hypocrisy.