This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have never had it explained to my satisfaction...

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. I have never had it explained to my satisfaction...

User Info: Imperator420

Imperator420
5 years ago#1
What the purpose of this life is. I have a heard a number of assertions about the exercise of free will and such, but in none of them is physical existence actually required or even desirable. I mean no hostility; I would merely like to hear some opinions.
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7

User Info: shockwavejim

shockwavejim
5 years ago#2
Only what you make of it. And you only get one chance, so make sure that you find a purpose fulfilling for you.
bibere humanum est, ergo bibamus

Imperator420
5 years ago#3
What the purpose of this life is in a religious context that presupposes some form of spiritual existence, afterlife, souls, or what have you, obviously. I didn't mention that in the first post, though it should be obvious from the context and the name of this board.
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7

Imperator420
5 years ago#4
Only what you make of it. And you only get one chance, so make sure that you find a purpose fulfilling for you.

I fully agree with you, but this is an atheistic existentialist answer and not what I was asking. You missed my second post so you have to take that into account.

User Info: CIA911

CIA911
5 years ago#5
The purpose of life is to become saved.
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?

Imperator420
5 years ago#6
Where does physical existence, which by all accounts impedes salvation, play into that?

CIA911
5 years ago#7
Where does physical existence, which by all accounts impedes salvation, play into that?

Physical existence does not impede salvation.
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?

User Info: FelixTrapper

FelixTrapper
5 years ago#8
The LDS believe the purpose of life is to become like our Heavenly Father. Specifically, our purpose on earth is twofold: obtaining a physical body through birth, and obtaining experiences and knowledge through the use of our free will.
Slowly recreating Final Fantasy 6 into 3D, one block at a time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GDKT0486

Imperator420
5 years ago#9
The LDS Church in fact has an appropriate reason what with God being a man. What of mainstream Christianity which ignores Biblical verses and has separated God from matter?

CIA911
5 years ago#10
The LDS church is apostate just like all the others. No need to bother with them.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. I have never had it explained to my satisfaction...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived