This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have never had it explained to my satisfaction...

#1Imperator420Posted 6/23/2011 2:05:26 PM
What the purpose of this life is. I have a heard a number of assertions about the exercise of free will and such, but in none of them is physical existence actually required or even desirable. I mean no hostility; I would merely like to hear some opinions.
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#2shockwavepulsarjimPosted 6/23/2011 2:07:43 PM
Only what you make of it. And you only get one chance, so make sure that you find a purpose fulfilling for you.
---
bibere humanum est, ergo bibamus
#3Imperator420(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2011 2:08:05 PM
What the purpose of this life is in a religious context that presupposes some form of spiritual existence, afterlife, souls, or what have you, obviously. I didn't mention that in the first post, though it should be obvious from the context and the name of this board.
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#4Imperator420(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2011 2:10:02 PM
Only what you make of it. And you only get one chance, so make sure that you find a purpose fulfilling for you.

I fully agree with you, but this is an atheistic existentialist answer and not what I was asking. You missed my second post so you have to take that into account.
---
#5CIA911Posted 6/23/2011 2:16:47 PM
The purpose of life is to become saved.
---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?
#6Imperator420(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2011 2:22:06 PM
Where does physical existence, which by all accounts impedes salvation, play into that?
---
#7CIA911Posted 6/23/2011 2:23:43 PM
Where does physical existence, which by all accounts impedes salvation, play into that?

Physical existence does not impede salvation.
---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?
#8FelixTrapperPosted 6/23/2011 2:56:43 PM
The LDS believe the purpose of life is to become like our Heavenly Father. Specifically, our purpose on earth is twofold: obtaining a physical body through birth, and obtaining experiences and knowledge through the use of our free will.
---
Slowly recreating Final Fantasy 6 into 3D, one block at a time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GDKT0486
#9Imperator420(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2011 3:09:58 PM
The LDS Church in fact has an appropriate reason what with God being a man. What of mainstream Christianity which ignores Biblical verses and has separated God from matter?
---
#10CIA911Posted 6/23/2011 4:23:21 PM
The LDS church is apostate just like all the others. No need to bother with them.
---