This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Huh so Gay Marriage was just legalized in NY

#1sthaterPosted 6/25/2011 10:14:31 AM
Thoughts? And indeed there apparently is a special provision(not that it would really be needed) that specifically says that no church has any obligation to conduct a ceremony for a same-sex couple.
---
Like my loafers? Former gophers -It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
Part of the presidential triumvirate of board 666
#2Imperator420Posted 6/25/2011 10:18:23 AM
I'm all for gay rights and I live in NYC, but marriage is such a sham that the issue of gay marriage has never been a big concern for me.
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#3the final bahamutPosted 6/25/2011 10:38:43 AM
but marriage is such a sham

It really isn't. At least not in the context we're talking. Sure, if you think monogamous two-ity (we have such a good term in Danish) and traditional family structures is a sham, sure, whatevs, but living together as husband and husband or wife and wife hasn't been denied gay couples in NY for a while. Marriage in this context doesn't pertain to living as a married couple, but to being treated as a married couple by the state and that indeedily isn't a sham if you're into twoness.
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#4DagorhaPosted 6/25/2011 10:57:08 AM
Prior to this if you got married in another state and came back then NY would would recognize it. It was a stupid policy but it has been on record for awhile. The fact that they changed it was only a matter of time since most people here have no problem with gay marriage. So my thoughts? Yaaaay now i can legally get married to a dude. Do i want to? No, but its always nice to have another option >_>

Realistically i hate the idea of marriage and it should be abolished from federal and state ideas and just replaced with "domestic partnerships" that are open to anyone. At least that is my opinion.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#5the final bahamutPosted 6/25/2011 11:10:23 AM
Yaaaay now i can legally get married to a dude. Do i want to? No,

Well I guess I'm not talking to you anymore.
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#6xXxCroNoxXxPosted 6/25/2011 11:15:37 AM
I'm all for gay rights and I live in NYC, but marriage is such a sham that the issue of gay marriage has never been a big concern for me.

What kinda logic is this?

"I'm a male so abortion has never been a big concern for me"
"I'm white so civil rights for blacks have never been a big concern for me"
#7Imperator420Posted 6/25/2011 11:59:40 AM
TheGeneralPublic posted...

What kinda logic is this?

Nice straw man you've built. I am, in fact, happy that in the short term, gays will be allowed the right to marry, as marriage comes with privileges that they are just as entitled to as straight people. But I oppose all state recognition and regulation of amorous relationships in the first place (I am, for example, vehemently opposed to anti-"sodomy" laws; you resorted to a false dichotomy to imply that I do not care about discrimination against gays because I am straight; this is simply not the case). I do not feel that the government has any business making proclamations on consensual sex. It's wonderful that homosexuals are now entitled to assume the various legal benefits of marriage, since heterosexuals already had that option, but a sincere gay relationship (or a straight one) was already as valid as a marriage sanctioned by the government. My hope in the long term is that marriage, as we understand it, is abolished altogether.
---
I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast ... for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 7
#8Imperator420Posted 6/25/2011 12:04:41 PM
Also, regarding your examples:

You are no doubt trying to demonstrate that I am somehow callous towards those who are gay, because I am not one of them. I don't understand how "marriage is a sham, so I don't believe in gay marriage" is equivalent to "I'm straight, so I don't believe in gay marriage", however.

To clarify, I am opposed to homosexual marriage to the extent that I am opposed to all marriage, except insofar as marriage can obtain certain rights for gay couples in practical terms that straight couples already possess.
---
#9xXxCroNoxXxPosted 6/25/2011 12:28:03 PM
I am, in fact, happy that in the short term, gays will be allowed the right to marry, as marriage comes with privileges that they are just as entitled to as straight people.

So you admit that discrimination was going on, but that it wasn't a "big concern"?
#10Imperator420Posted 6/25/2011 1:00:40 PM
Discrimination of any kind will always be a concern to me. What I found little interest in was one of the proposed solutions to ending this specific type of discrimination, namely, sanctioning gay marriage as a part of the legal system. My preferred solution would have been an end to the institution of marriage, which constitutes a separate form of discrimination altogether, and an increase in education to the extent that the general public would recognize gay couples to be equal to and in as valid a relationship as their straight counterparts.

I am also, to provide comparison, an anti-militarist; if I were to discover that Germans, or women, or some other minority (even one that I belonged to, say, atheists), were being barred from enlisting in the military, I would be outraged that the government was engaging in discriminatory policies. Yet as my overarching concern is to see an abolition of the military altogether, I could not regard my desire to see atheists enlist in the military as anything more than ephemeral, a deal with the lesser of two evils at a time when what I consider good is not a viable choice.
---