This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should evolution be taught in schools? Miss USA delegates weigh in.

#1the_hedonistPosted 6/25/2011 10:25:03 AM
I haven't watched the entire video yet, but this could be interesting. It is a long video, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkBmhM0R2A0
---
Everything that doesn't have to do with elephants is irrelephant.
~The Christian Hedonist~
#2sthaterPosted 6/25/2011 10:28:40 AM
Hoo boy why do I get the feeling this is going to make me cringe repeatably?
---
Like my loafers? Former gophers -It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
Part of the presidential triumvirate of board 666
#3sthaterPosted 6/25/2011 10:34:27 AM
Oh dear... 4 minutes in and only one seems to understand that is a scientific concept and the rest of them address it as though it were some competing religious belief or something o.O
---
#4sthaterPosted 6/25/2011 10:48:34 AM
Wow... so yeah most of them seemed to agree with it being taught in school but I really find it more than a little sad that really only a handful of the contestants appear to grasp and understand that it is a part of Biology. I mean it really really was primarily walking talking real life stereotypes there XD
---
#5the final bahamutPosted 6/25/2011 10:54:34 AM
Oh dear... 4 minutes in and only one seems to understand that is a scientific concept and the rest of them address it as though it were some competing religious belief or something o.O

Who? I'm at 6 minutes and so far only one has refrained from using the word "believe" in relation to evolution, and she just said "Yes, I think evolution should be taught in school". Even the one who claimed to be "a huge science geek" said she like to "believe in evolution and the big bang".

Seriously, I always hear people harp on about beauty pageant contestants being stupid, but seriously, listening to this is harming my belief in humanity. Seriously, I think sections of my brain are trying to shut itself down in shear terror.

One of them is trying to say that her state evolved and just said "It doesn't necessarily have to do with people, it can be about communities as well". Shoot me. Please... SIUHT UP NMORTOR CORTHEXZ WEA ARE NOT GIVING UP! but... frontal cortex... just listen, one of them just said "But it's only a theory and shouldn't be taught as fact"! You can't force me to listen to this! yoUr a Traitor Wernick'es! We WIll PREVAIL!

The terror...
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#6the final bahamutPosted 6/25/2011 10:56:29 AM
"Teacher's shouldn't step on the toes of biblical value"... She actually just said that when asked about evolution! Please, frontal lobe... please can't we end it?
---
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#7the_hedonist(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2011 10:57:06 AM
Miss Hawaii said "creatiotism."
---
Everything that doesn't have to do with elephants is irrelephant.
~The Christian Hedonist~
#8sthaterPosted 6/25/2011 10:59:54 AM

From: the final bahamut | Posted: 6/25/2011 9:54:34 AM | #005

Who? I'm at 6 minutes and so far only one has refrained from using the word "believe" in relation to evolution, and she just said "Yes, I think evolution should be taught in school". Even the one who claimed to be "a huge science geek" said she like to "believe in evolution and the big bang".

Seriously, I always hear people harp on about beauty pageant contestants being stupid, but seriously, listening to this is harming my belief in humanity. Seriously, I think sections of my brain are trying to shut itself down in shear terror.

One of them is trying to say that her state evolved and just said "It doesn't necessarily have to do with people, it can be about communities as well". Shoot me. Please... SIUHT UP NMORTOR CORTHEXZ WEA ARE NOT GIVING UP! but... frontal cortex... just listen, one of them just said "But it's only a theory and shouldn't be taught as fact"! You can't force me to listen to this! yoUr a Traitor Wernick'es! We WIll PREVAIL!

The terror...

Yeah I was probably being far too kind,, geez. I mean it really is the horrible b.s. stereotypical feelgood beauty pageant answers too. Horrible. I mean wow I don't actually watch that stuff so I honestly wouldn't have figured the stereotypes would be THAT prevalent but wow there they are. In fact if this is any indication I don't think it's even stereotype. I think it's just an objective fact o.O
---
#9sthaterPosted 6/25/2011 11:00:51 AM

From: the final bahamut | Posted: 6/25/2011 9:56:29 AM | #006
"Teacher's shouldn't step on the toes of biblical value"... She actually just said that when asked about evolution! Please, frontal lobe... please can't we end it?

I know it's hard to watch.
---
#10the final bahamutPosted 6/25/2011 11:09:00 AM
"I think when it when it comes to evolution, I think science is great aaand when it comes to teaching I think facts should be stated [...] but as far as when it comes to, like, little theories and whatnot I probably wanna stay away from those I believe in the truth and the truth only, not somebody's you know, imagination or hope or whatnot, so I think facts, not theory should be taught."

Why... why did you subject me to bullf***ery like this? We are hurting, we are literally hurting as our cells try to commit apoptosis due to the terror Amygdala is presenting to us.

Frontal lobe wants to say something, but we are commandeering both language and motor skills from it until it stops insisting we pinpoint their bimboness.
---