This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

College Professor defines Creationism to his freshman

#1FelixTrapperPosted 6/25/2011 1:32:59 PM
My brother is taking a basic level philosophy class at a university. In the first lecture (which was recorded) the following was given on creationism:

"Creationism is the belief that the earth is roughly 10,000 years old and that the species that exist now are the same that have been there from the beginning. Creationists, in other words, reject evolution."

After this description no further elaboration or description was given.
---
Slowly recreating Final Fantasy 6 into 3D, one block at a time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GDKT0486
#2Giacomo_HawkinsPosted 6/25/2011 1:43:30 PM
That is precisely where that discussion belongs, in a philosophy and not a science class.
---
Will the little voice in the back of my mind screaming "This is a bad idea" please yield the floor. --Mikey
Chivalry be hanged, and so will you.
#3FireFlameSpitaPosted 6/25/2011 1:51:43 PM
Hmm... I would've thought that he would elaborate a bit on the subject, or explain why he even brought it up in the first place.
#4BlankDMNPosted 6/25/2011 1:54:24 PM
Fail to see the issue with that definition, unless you want to argue the supposed age of the earth.
---
An Atheist in a Foxhole
#5xXxCroNoxXxPosted 6/25/2011 1:56:15 PM(edited)
Seems fair enough. I take it you object somehow TC?

edit: the definition is certainly accurate when using the term "creationism" in modern political discourse.
#6FelixTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2011 2:26:23 PM
His definition of creationism fails to mention the defining principle of creationism, that is, that all things were created by an omnipotent creator.

Instead, he defines creationism by a sub-class of rules that actually only apply to specific types of creationism (for instance, YEC)

All around, it was a terrible job.
---
Slowly recreating Final Fantasy 6 into 3D, one block at a time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GDKT0486
#7xXxCroNoxXxPosted 6/25/2011 2:37:00 PM

I mean, wouldn't that naturally follow from what he said?
#8the final bahamutPosted 6/25/2011 2:54:37 PM
His definition of creationism fails to mention the defining principle of creationism, that is, that all things were created by an omnipotent creator.

Instead, he defines creationism by a sub-class of rules that actually only apply to specific types of creationism (for instance, YEC)

So? Does anyone care what loonies think? I mean why would you waste time on it?
Some of my lectures have touched upon creationism. Mostly using the phrases like "absolutely moronic". I love my professors. One of my professors is Santa Claus and he's a believing Christian, and even he goes "Well, when one looks at a human body one would have to be quite silly to think of Creationism."
And again, this is Santa speaking. This is basically like a four hour string of swearwords from him.
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#9WaruigiPosted 6/25/2011 2:59:06 PM
Why is this being discussed on the first day of a basic philosophy course. He should be talking about old guys who wrote 3000 page books.
---
"I'm no longer surprised by how long and how earnestly people can talk about absolute rubbish." -shockwavepulsarjim
#10FoxTheSwiftPosted 6/25/2011 3:15:28 PM
giantdonkeykongteam posted...

Usually, when people talk about creationists, they are talking about YEC colloquially, in the creationist/evolutionist divide. He wasn't wrong, he was just using the word in a different sense than you think about it, which is the literal "created by an omnipotent creator" sense, which doesn't tend to be how the word is used. Its like saying that pro-life means being for life in every circumstance, rather than meaning that one is against abortion, which is how the word is actually used most of the time.