This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

200 Methodist Clergy in Illinois defy Church on same-sex unions (link)

#1OzymandiasIVPosted 6/27/2011 7:12:14 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/news/local/chi-200-methodist-clergy-in-illinois-defy-church-on-samesex-unions-20110626,0,7392850.story

Thought this was interesting and relevant.
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#2Aperture_ShadoPosted 6/27/2011 8:36:54 AM
But the Rev. Scott Field, pastor of Wheatland Salem United Methodist Church in Naperville, said the church's moral conscience has prevented any hasty policy shifts that simply conform to culture.

"If someone has ethical opposition to that lifestyle, this has been equated with hatred," he said. "We're having a hard time disagreeing with one another without calling each other names."

Field said he doesn't condone violence against gays and lesbians, but also believes the church should not condone homosexuality. He called the clergy's pledge of disobedience an example of the Northern Illinois Conference's trademark "hijinks."

"Northern Illinois fancies itself as some sort of prophetic voice in the denomination," Field said. "It's highly unfortunate. It politicizes some legitimate issues about gay and lesbian relationships and leaves us with another round of conflict."

I agree with this guy.
---
"There's only two things I fear more than myself in a battle, God and my shadow"
#3Aperture_ShadoPosted 6/27/2011 8:39:54 AM
Also, I think these guys trying to "force" the church to condone homosexuality is ridiculous, but they will probably get backed by the government eventually. Won't be long now... 6 months in prison for any pastor refusing to execute a gay "marriage". Mark my words, it'll happen within our lifetimes.
---
"There's only two things I fear more than myself in a battle, God and my shadow"
#4ledzepfan15Posted 6/27/2011 8:44:41 AM
It politicizes some legitimate issues about gay and lesbian relationships and leaves us with another round of conflict."

What are these "legitimate" issues?
---
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro
#5Giacomo_HawkinsPosted 6/27/2011 9:17:48 AM
Aperture_Shado posted...
Also, I think these guys trying to "force" the church to condone homosexuality is ridiculous, but they will probably get backed by the government eventually. Won't be long now... 6 months in prison for any pastor refusing to execute a gay "marriage". Mark my words, it'll happen within our lifetimes.

Right, like pastors are arrested for refusing to officiate at interracial or interfaith unions.
---
Will the little voice in the back of my mind screaming "This is a bad idea" please yield the floor. --Mikey
Chivalry be hanged, and so will you.
#6fudrickPosted 6/27/2011 9:18:16 AM
Aperture_Shado posted...

Wow, are you serious?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#7OnceInALifeTimePosted 6/27/2011 10:08:23 AM
Interesting choice of language there, Shado.
---
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake
#8FoxTheSwiftPosted 6/27/2011 12:44:07 PM
I can't wait for the day Shado goes to prison and we don't have to see his ridiculously hateful posts.
#9king_gimpyPosted 6/27/2011 3:50:39 PM

Oh poor little persecuted Xians ;_____;

Seriously, that'll never happen.
---
DESTRUCTION CAN BE BEAUTIFUL!
#10Icymane_ShadoPosted 6/27/2011 8:50:08 PM
And why exactly would I go to prison?

Also, my last post may be slightly exaggeratory. However, I do think that eventually saying "homosexuality is immoral" will eventually be seen as equivalent to "black people are lesser beings" in terms of ethical correctness. Which is absurd IMO.