This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

200 Methodist Clergy in Illinois defy Church on same-sex unions (link)

#21IwantedzeroPosted 6/28/2011 4:04:27 PM

However, I do think that eventually saying "homosexuality is immoral" will eventually be seen as equivalent to "black people are lesser beings" in terms of ethical correctness.

It is. Both are deriding people based on factors they have absolutely no control over. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other.
---
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/128/2/d/ri_chibis_series_3_by_frist44-d3fwuko.png
Good work, ChaosZeroRoxorz!
#22Icymane_ShadoPosted 6/28/2011 7:57:38 PM
No, one is a statement of morality and the other is a statement of physical or metaphysical equality.

Also, your comparison factors are incorrect as well. Both statements do not deride any particular people, and today both race and sexual preference can be obscured or hidden, at least partially. I'm sure there are people who have masqueraded as someone of a different race.
#23fudrickPosted 6/28/2011 8:23:18 PM
Iwantedzero posted...
It is. Both are deriding people based on factors they have absolutely no control over. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Well, if you're talking about homosexual acts, which is what most christians think is immoral I think, then they have complete control over it.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#24Icymane_ShadoPosted 6/28/2011 9:00:24 PM
^This. This might be just me speaking, but I think there's a fine line between having some sort of urge and acting on it. For example, there are a lot of people who secretly find pre-pubescent children attractive and want to have sex with them - but of these people, only some actually act on it. So does God punish everyone else just as hard, who had restraint/self-control and didn't sin? I don't think so.

Oh, and just two qualifiers before anyone complains:

1. If all you get from that post is "hey your saying pedophilia is equal to being gay", well, I'm not even going to waste time with you.
2. I think someone who does act on their urge(s) and sins could still be forgiven. I'm just saying that the sinful urges themselves aren't as bad as acting on them.
#25I have no namePosted 6/28/2011 10:02:27 PM

Also, my last post may be slightly exaggeratory. However, I do think that eventually saying "homosexuality is immoral" will eventually be seen as equivalent to "black people are lesser beings" in terms of ethical correctness. Which is absurd IMO.

It's not absurd at all, Those are both hateful, bigoted statements which imply that a certain group is inferior and the people who make them should be shunned like any other bigot. Your fearmongering and lies will never come true, Fred Phelps has never and will never face the slightest legal repercussions for his views, you and him will just be written out of history. A few decades from now the churches will be claiming you and him were never 'Real' Christians and that all the 'real' ones had always supported gay rights and had never thought their was anything immoral about homosexuality. I've already seen people claiming that Christianity never hated gay people and that the majority of American christians who voted to ban gay marriage are 'misinformed' or some other excuse.

But in the meantime you can still have fun comparing gay people to child molesters and destroying the self-esteem of any homosexuals growing up in your church who get told what an immoral monster they are on a regular basis.
---
How I reacted to the news of a new Elder Scrolls game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY
#26WaruigiPosted 6/28/2011 10:29:43 PM
As a former member of the United Methodist, it is my impression that the UMC has been like-minded pastors, but that most of them don't really have the courage or taste for this kind of action. If all the pastors in the Methodist church who are tolerant of pastors presiding over gay weddings would get on board, I bet it would be far too many for the leadership to reign in, but I doubt many of these pastors will for fear of conflict or losing their jobs.
---
"I'm no longer surprised by how long and how earnestly people can talk about absolute rubbish." -shockwavepulsarjim
#27Billy Bob JoePosted 6/29/2011 3:45:43 AM

example, there are a lot of people who secretly find pre-pubescent children attractive and want to have sex with them - but of these people, only some actually act on it.

0 to Paedophilia analogies in 24 posts. You're good, Shado. Real good.

1. If all you get from that post is "hey your saying pedophilia is equal to being gay", well, I'm not even going to waste time with you.

Oh goodness, I wouldn't want Shado of all people to not respond to me :'(
---
The free market will decide whether you steer your Escalade into a nursery school or not. - Cruithear
http://www.youtube.com/user/BillyBobJoeIsaac