This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I believe in Jesus Christ simply because I don't want to go to hell.

#1AdamKesher2001Posted 6/27/2011 4:52:12 PM
discuss
#2OrangeWizardPosted 6/27/2011 4:54:49 PM(edited)
You're doing it wrong.
Plus, the bible says that simply acknowledging the existence of Jesus won't help you any.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#3AdamKesher2001(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2011 4:58:03 PM
You're doing it wrong.

I don't think so.

Plus, the bible says that simply acknowledging the existence of Jesus won't help you any.

I know. That's why I repented from my life of sin, and I plan on doing some stewardship and other "spread the word" ministries.
#4kozlo100Posted 6/27/2011 5:06:06 PM(edited)
If it works for you, more power to you, but statistically speaking it's a bad bet.

edit: That is to say if your only reason for worshiping Jesus is to avoid an infinitely unpleasant afterlife, the odds are not in your favor.

Clearly additional reasons or motives change the situation.

---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#5AdamKesher2001(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2011 5:05:39 PM
but statistically speaking it's a bad bet

Please explain what you mean by this.
#6AdamKesher2001(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2011 5:11:22 PM(edited)
That is to say if your only reason for worshiping Jesus is to avoid an infinitely unpleasant afterlife, the odds are not in your favor.

That's wrong. Bring up any verse in the Bible to support your points. I want to see it.

Fear is the beginning of knowledge. Jesus died for our sins so that we (we meaning believers who repented). wouldn't have to experience hell.

---
#7kozlo100Posted 6/27/2011 5:11:02 PM
Please explain what you mean by this.

See my edit for some clarification.

The point is that you are worshiping one of many proposed, and one of infinite theoretical, deities in the hopes of avoiding one of many proposed, and infinite theoretical, afterlives.

Given no other factors or reasoning than what was stated in the OP, your chances of accomplishing your goal range from very slim to functionally nil.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#8fudrickPosted 6/27/2011 5:12:36 PM
AdamKesher2001 posted...
That's wrong. Bring up any verse in the Bible to support your points. I want to see it.

I lol'd
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#9kozlo100Posted 6/27/2011 5:13:52 PM(edited)
Bring up any verse in the Bible to support your points.

This command implies that you believe the bible to be an authoritative source on the issue. That amends your initial statement to be "I believe in Jesus Christ simply because I don't want to go to hell and I believe the bible to be authoritative on the subject."

That's a different kettle of fish entirely.
---
#10AdamKesher2001(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2011 5:22:44 PM(edited)
The point is that you are worshiping one of many proposed, and one of infinite theoretical, deities

Mohammed is not diety. I'm pretty sure he never claimed to be the son of God.

in the hopes of avoiding one of many proposed, and infinite theoretical, afterlives.

Given no other factors or reasoning than what was stated in the OP, your chances of accomplishing your goal range from very slim to functionally nil.

I see. Since somehow you know my chances of escaping eternity in hell, I would like to know what your chances are. Please tell.

I have a feeling that you're just angry.

So, are you saying that every Christian preacher and priest is full of crap??
How do you know there is no afterlife?