This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did people in ancient Greece literally believe in their gods?

#1249_US_dollarsPosted 6/27/2011 6:45:52 PM
Or any other area with similar mythologies, I suppose.
---
Don't count your chickens until they've hatched
That's chicken humor for "don't be cocky"
#2Hustle KongPosted 6/27/2011 7:02:42 PM
Seeing as how Socrates was put on trial under accusations of atheism, I'd say that it follows. Didn't Cicero also profess a belief in the gods?
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#3SirThinkALotPosted 6/27/2011 7:53:29 PM
The exact views varied from time-to-time. There were periods of ancient greek history when they did literally believe in their gods, and times when they saw them as alagorical.
---
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
PSN name: SirThinkALot
#4me_faiyezPosted 6/27/2011 9:18:21 PM
I figure... people in a thousand years from now will probably ask the same question about us.
---
I think they've taken the freedom and liberty thing a BIT TOO FAR!
-GlowStormLion on Japan's kinks.
#5Faust_8Posted 6/27/2011 9:35:40 PM
Which is why the fervency of your belief says absolutely nothing about if it's truth or not. Millions upon millions died truly believing in completely separate gods/religions...
---
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."
#6k darkfirePosted 6/28/2011 12:07:01 AM
Yes. Why is it so unbelievable?
#7RetrotasticPosted 6/28/2011 1:42:48 AM
Yes and no as they knew their stories about the gods were myths but atheism was a very rare thing. Even the Greek materialists tended to believe in the gods existed they just didn't offer anyone an afterlife.
#8sthaterPosted 6/28/2011 1:46:22 AM
Generally speaking yes they do appear to have been taken seriously. Alexander the Great apparently idolized a lot of the larger than life Greek heroes like Achilles and Odysseus.
---
Like my loafers? Former gophers -It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
Part of the presidential triumvirate of board 666
#9RetrotasticPosted 6/28/2011 1:49:06 AM
They would have been a little bit surprised had Zeus physically appeared before them and started to order them about though I'm sure. They wouldn't have thought "Oh its just Zeus."
#10OrangeWizardPosted 6/28/2011 3:02:21 AM
TC, you're using the word "Literally" wrong. The word you're looking for is "really". The two are not synonymous.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops