This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mormon Church prohibits general authorities from participating in politics

#1FelixTrapperPosted 6/27/2011 10:10:43 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/52084513-90/campaigns-candidates-church-full.html.csp

This means the President of the church, his counselors, the quoroum of the 12 apostles, and the quorom of the 70 (not the area seventies, which are different) can not contribute or participate in politics.

This is a fairly big deal now that 2 LDS men are running for president. This would mean that the Church, by its own policy, cannot fund or support the candidates during the election, and should a Mormon be elected president, would have no authority to intervene with political matters.
---
Slowly recreating Final Fantasy 6 into 3D, one block at a time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GDKT0486
#2king_gimpyPosted 6/27/2011 11:48:23 PM
I don't think a member of the LDS Church would ever get elected anyway. The vast majority of American Christians do not consider them fellow Christians, which means they basically have no chance in holding an office like that of El Presidente.
---
When I was born the doctor twisted up the facts,
he said that I was a devil son so now I'm having flashbacks.
#3FoxTheSwiftPosted 6/28/2011 2:55:11 AM
Its funny, but in light of the presidential elections, this looks like largely a political move to me to try and assure the American populace that Mormon politicians are okay for them to elect. I'd trust it more if it came from the leaders in Scientology given how politically active the Mormon church has been in trying to keep gay people from getting married in my state =P
#4OrangeWizardPosted 6/28/2011 3:00:43 AM
Now if they only prohibited it's members from voting, it'd be almost like the Jehovah's Witnesses!
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#5king_gimpyPosted 6/28/2011 2:48:25 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
Now if they only prohibited it's members from voting, it'd be almost like the Jehovah's Witnesses!

Why would they want to do that?
---
#6SuibomPosted 6/28/2011 6:28:51 PM
Because Christians have better things to do with their time than deal with politics.
---
If honor be your clothing, the suit will last a lifetime; but if clothing be your honor, it will soon be worn threadbare.~ William Arnot
#7NsM ComatosisPosted 6/28/2011 6:55:06 PM
Suibom posted...
Because Christians have better things to do with their time than deal with politics.

Yeah, like protest gay marriage, abortion, stem cell research, and evolution.
---
Pun is top 10 of all time. You can tell he ate a lot of mc's. -- Moogle Hunter
#8king_gimpyPosted 6/28/2011 8:01:47 PM
Suibom posted...

Yeah, that's why Christianity is so tied to politics and why we have Christians pushing to make gay marriage and abortion illegal, along with other things.

Because Christians don't waste time on politics at all, oh no.
---
#9fudrickPosted 6/28/2011 8:21:05 PM
Also I'm pretty sure our only non-christian president was Thomas Jefferson.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#10SuibomPosted 6/28/2011 10:34:26 PM
king gimpy posted...
Suibom posted...

Yeah, that's why Christianity is so tied to politics and why we have Christians pushing to make gay marriage and abortion illegal, along with other things.

Because Christians don't waste time on politics at all, oh no.

I wasn't saying they don't... I was saying they shouldn't.
---
If honor be your clothing, the suit will last a lifetime; but if clothing be your honor, it will soon be worn threadbare.~ William Arnot