This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This is EXACTLY what is wrong with the US and evolution

#1arian487Posted 6/28/2011 1:44:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkBmhM0R2A0

Watching the whole video, and really only one out of the 51 ****ing women said "yes, its a fact". It made me rage so hard. Every time one of them would say: "yea both sides need to be taught" it shows me the true lack of understanding that people have when it comes to evolution. It needs to become the norm in classrooms so people can actually understand it, and not give dumb answers like these.

None of them understood (besides vermont) the basic understanding of: "no, creationism is NOT a science and shouldn't be taught along side evolution in a science classroom".
---
x - (x^3 / 3!) + (x^5 / 5!) - (x^7 / 7!) + ... = sinx
4(1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ...) = PI
#2IwantedzeroPosted 6/28/2011 1:48:09 PM(edited)
I disagree, I found it to be uplifting. I was expecting 49 "No, not really" and one "well...maybe."

EDIT: Wait, one out of 51 women? When did they add a 51st state?
---
Live long, be happy, and try to ensure those around you do as well.
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/615/zeropoem.jpg
#3arian487(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2011 1:55:13 PM
Are you kidding? Its clear most of them said 'teach both sides' so they don't offend anyone. But in saying 'teach both sides' it clearly shows a FUNDAMENTAL misunderstanding of what creationism is (not science) and what evolution is. Change over time being the fact, and natural selection being the theory.
---
#4OzymandiasIVPosted 6/28/2011 2:03:54 PM(edited)
This isn't exactly a good random population example. I wouldn't expect most of these girls to do a whole lot of thinking on their own.

The real problem with evolution and the US is that the current generation of middle-aged people is too saturated with those who refuse evolution, and they're too intrinsic a part of our society, in the schools, the courts and political offices, etc. This, of course, leads to poor education on evolution in high school, and our public schools aren't exactly the best right now to begin with.

*EDIT*

arian487 | Posted 6/28/2011 4:55:13 PM | message detail | quote
Are you kidding? Its clear most of them said 'teach both sides' so they don't offend anyone.

I agree with this as well. I was going to put it in here, but I forgot until I was pressing the post message button. And I don't doubt saying anything against teaching "the other side," even if they mean just not in a science class, probably would have given them a black mark on their score. I would have applauded anyone who said so, but these girls are in it to win.

---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#5arian487(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2011 2:03:30 PM
Furthermore, when they say 'both sides' or 'all sides', do they mean christianity and evolution? If they're going to teach all sides they sure as hell better teach kids about the FSM, Odin, Thor, and all that jazz.

But we all know what they really meant by both sides.
---
#6WelshGamer82Posted 6/28/2011 2:09:31 PM

EDIT: Wait, one out of 51 women? When did they add a 51st state?

I assume that it's the 50 states plus DC.
---
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7020/jesustwitter.jpg
On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. < ><
#7arian487(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2011 2:12:26 PM
PolluxFrost47 posted...
This isn't exactly a good random population example. I wouldn't expect most of these girls to do a whole lot of thinking on their own.

Firstly, why the hell not? Secondly, this kind of thinking seems to be the AVERAGE in the US. Just looking at polls and stuff, it seems a sizable portion of the population doesn't believe in evolution.
---
#8Faust_8Posted 6/28/2011 2:40:11 PM
Throughout all of these girls' lives, I don't think they were very much pressured to be as smart and as studious as they could be. So the fact that they are misinformed and/or ignorant of some things...is not surprising to me at all.

I mean...why would they focus on their studies so much? They clearly don't need it to be successful. It would be like being surprised that a mechanic doesn't know much about gardening. Why SHOULD he be expected to know about gardening? It's not a necessary part of his life. He's doing fine and making money without it.

So yes, it is sad, but you shouldn't let it skew your view of other people.
---
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."
#9OzymandiasIVPosted 6/28/2011 2:59:39 PM
arian487 | Posted 6/28/2011 5:12:26 PM | message detail | quote
PolluxFrost47 posted...

Firstly, why the hell not?

Because they're all similarly aged and they're all females, likely all from similar financial backgrounds, etc. Hardly representative of the US population.

And I wasn't actually disagreeing with you about how many people in the US don't accept or understand evolution. All I meant was that this isn't a good population sample to use as an example, and this isn't really the *problem* so much as it is the result of the problem.
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#10NsM ComatosisPosted 6/28/2011 5:37:03 PM
I'm more disgusted at the fact that such a stupid question was asked in the first place, if nothing else. What a sad state of affairs we have on our hands when evolution is apparently the "fringe opinion."
---
Pun is top 10 of all time. You can tell he ate a lot of mc's. -- Moogle Hunter