This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

2,000-year-old ossuary found in Israel dating back to the Second Temple period.

#11sith_acolyte15Posted 6/30/2011 12:43:14 PM
People can go to prison for life by stealing x amount of dollars

Source?
---
This is the Internet; you can't use popularity to prove something is good unless it's something I actually like.
#12bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2011 1:09:57 PM(edited)
Source?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Madoff

http://www.laborunionreport.com/portal/2010/11/union-embezzler-could-face-life-in-prison-for-stealing-17000/

http://herald-zeitung.com/news/local_news/article_d926a0b0-55ae-11e0-8154-001cc4c002e0.html
---
Some people were surprised Duke Nukem Forever makes disgusting and perverse jokes and they use that as a reason why it's a bad game. *sigh* Kids...
#13GuideToTheDarkPosted 6/30/2011 11:38:23 PM
sith_acolyte15 posted...
Source?

Are you seriously unaware that theft is a crime?
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.
#14OzymandiasIVPosted 6/30/2011 11:44:51 PM
bsballa09 posted...
lol
You realize that these artifacts are objects, not people, right?

Yes, and? People can go to prison for life by stealing x amount of dollars, and if you steal something that is priceless, is it not worse?

Stealing money from people is more damaging to people directly. It's not just because it's taking money, it's because it's potentially damaging or destroying someone's life.

While I agree that destroying ancient artifacts is extremely regrettable, no one should deserve life in jail just for the act of destroying the artifacts.
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#15mercuryinkPosted 7/1/2011 8:53:33 AM
It's not just because it's taking money, it's because it's potentially damaging or destroying someone's life.
So if I steal from someone profoundly wealthy? Let's say I take two mil from Bill Gates. Not so bad, eh? Or I knock over a museum? Or, hell, an insured bank? I'm not actually taking something from somebody. No actual one person was deprived of anything.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#16kozlo100Posted 7/1/2011 9:02:39 AM
Stealing money from people is more damaging to people directly. It's not just because it's taking money, it's because it's potentially damaging or destroying someone's life.

More damaging to a handful of people directly. Destroying an ancient artifact removes a bit of valuable information from the world. It may not impact any one person very much, but it does have an impact on every human being from that point onwards.

The total magnitude of that kind of loss is profound, and disturbs me on a deep level. I think a harsh punishment, such as life in prison, is easily warranted for such a thing.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#17sith_acolyte15Posted 7/1/2011 9:47:50 AM
Are you seriously unaware that theft is a crime?

Since when?! /sarcasm

Of course I do. I have just never heard of any "steal X amount of dollars, get a life sentence" laws.
---
This is the Internet; you can't use popularity to prove something is good unless it's something I actually like.