This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would you guys think about schools teaching Evolution/Creation like this?

#1Icymane_ShadoPosted 6/30/2011 7:48:46 AM
(Middle/High schools of course)

For one special week, go over "origins". Describe the theory of evolution and/or Big Bang, Creation and/or intelligent design, and then go over the arguments and evidence for and against each. Honestly, evolution is a subject that is hardly even touched in low-level classes anyway, so they might as well present an impartial view of both sides.
#2kirsybuuPosted 6/30/2011 7:54:18 AM
Not many middle/high schools have religion classes.
---
"sabe que no puede resistir mis encantos sensuales." ~ Poolshark128
#3ElderMisanthropyPosted 6/30/2011 8:16:58 AM
Icymane_Shado posted...
(Middle/High schools of course)

For one special week, go over "origins". Describe the theory of evolution and/or Big Bang, Creation and/or intelligent design, and then go over the arguments and evidence for and against each. Honestly, evolution is a subject that is hardly even touched in low-level classes anyway, so they might as well present an impartial view of both sides.

Horrible idea. Presenting creationism as a valid alternative to actual science is reprehensible.
---
Everyone knows that women are not equipped for golf or space travel. Space is a vacuum, not a place that needs to be vacuumed.
#4kozlo100Posted 6/30/2011 8:19:11 AM
During which class would this survey of origins occur?
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#52ndSamuraiPosted 6/30/2011 8:48:38 AM
It's a bad idea. Think of it. How many people do you know actually study the bible thoroughly?
---
SSBB: 3609 0740 5203 SMASH
http://www.demotivateus.com/posters/jew-jitsu-demotivational-poster.jpg
#6snowman_5Posted 6/30/2011 9:23:35 AM
Is Creationism in school really this big of an issue? I've gone to Catholic school all of my life and even they taught evolution and how the creation in the Bible isn't literal.
---
Not Changing My Signature Until Zelda: OoT 3D Comes Out (7/29/10)
#7Icymane_Shado(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2011 9:34:36 AM
It'd be science class obviously. Possibly biology.

And Elder, 500 years ago you'd probably be just as adamant and defensive about Geocentricity.
#8fudrickPosted 6/30/2011 9:53:22 AM
Icymane_Shado posted...
It'd be science class obviously. Possibly biology.

"Obviously"? No that isn't obvious, creationism is the furthest thing from science. This is an obnoxious idea. Might as well teach alchemy along with chemistry and let the kids decide what they believe

Icymane_Shado posted...
And Elder, 500 years ago you'd probably be just as adamant and defensive about Geocentricity.

Are you equating the theory of evolution with geocentricity? Are you seriously that far removed from reality?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#9kozlo100Posted 6/30/2011 9:56:10 AM(edited)
Then I oppose the idea as stated.

I think it's a wonderful idea to teach kids about creation myths including both religious and scientific myths and comparing them to each other. But such a comparison isn't science, and doesn't belong in the science class. Note that doesn't mean the material is any less valuable or valid, it's just the wrong classroom to talk about it.

High schools generally don't have a philosophy class, which is really where you'd get the most out of this kind of discussion. History class might do. There's a little more room for waxing philosophical in that context, and many of the useful comparisons do have historical significance.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#10Faust_8Posted 6/30/2011 9:55:25 AM
Right, and let's teach alchemy in chemistry too. And homeopathy in health class. After all, shouldn't both sides be taught?

The answer is no, since there are not two sides at all. Especially when they contradict each other, so only one side can be right...and only one of the sides in question has given us reasons to think it's the correct one.
---
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."