This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Athiest opinion of (group) prayer visions (That come true)?

#1PatriotwolfPosted 6/30/2011 12:00:33 PM
Here is something to chew on. My best friends little brother went with his friends to this thing called S.O.S. (Summer of Service) for 18 and younger people at Vineyard Community Church.

So anyway, they got into prayer groups, and different things were seen, but they all wrote down what they saw before talking about it with each other, and they all saw a white car in an accident, a big stop sign, and an injured leg.

So they go out and prayer at different places, and come across this car wash with a big stop sign. They went and were talking to the workers, asking if they needed prayer, they said yes and actually one of their workers had been in an accident a day or two before, and not only did he have a leg injury, he was driving a white car. They called him at the hospital and he was crying over the phone. It was a life changing deal for my friends little brother.

I know the Atheists on this board will simply say its a major coincidence, but the mathematical probability is astronomical. And this kind of thing happened to ALL of the other groups at S.O.S, which is even more impossible from an odds standpoint.
---
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush
#2CIA911Posted 6/30/2011 12:06:25 PM
Actually if I wan an atheist I would just say "Yeah, like we're going to believe that"
---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?
#3fudrickPosted 6/30/2011 12:08:54 PM
So god felt the need to show all of these people some random car accident that happened a couple days before?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#4squareandrarePosted 6/30/2011 12:23:01 PM
Not only is it just a coincidence, it's not even that big of a coincidence.

And that's even assuming you're giving all the relevant details.
---
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman
#5Icymane_ShadoPosted 6/30/2011 12:30:22 PM
So the atheist response is either calling you a liar, or wondering why you'd see such a thing in a prayer.

No real criticisms though.
#6fudrickPosted 6/30/2011 12:37:19 PM
Icymane_Shado posted...
So the atheist response is either calling you a liar, or wondering why you'd see such a thing in a prayer.

No real criticisms though.

What do you want us to say? "Oh you got us, you're right, we're wrong, the christian god definitely exists due to this personal anecdote that can't be proven to have even happened"
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#7hamsandwich3141Posted 6/30/2011 12:55:34 PM
Patriotwolf posted...

So anyway, they got into prayer groups, and different things were seen, but they all wrote down what they saw before talking about it with each other, and they all saw a white car in an accident, a big stop sign, and an injured leg.

These seem a little contradictory. Also, the way I'm picturing it everyone just saw three distinct images in their head (car, stop sign, leg) and it kind of reads like an episode of Blue's Clues or something.
---
I only have a signature so I can type my posts in CAPS LOCK.
#8DiranosaurPosted 6/30/2011 1:13:37 PM(edited)
Probably the same as Christians' opinion on "ghost seances" or psychic people. It's all lies and coincidence.

If God wanted to send people thoughts, wouldn't he choose to warn about disasters or help people rather than give out meaningless thoughts?
---
Band (folk music) - http://barfota.bandcamp.com/
Solo (mandolin) - http://mycorrhiza.bandcamp.com/
#9gamesrgreatPosted 6/30/2011 1:32:19 PM
I'm just going to assume that this did happen for the sake of the question. Well then, I wouldn't point to the Christian God. For all I know they tapped into the one consciousness of the worldmind. Maybe that is what religion does and it would explain why people from all different religions have experiences like this.
---
Cyclops has never beaten Wolverine
The Miami Heat
#10HanatarashiPosted 6/30/2011 1:36:52 PM
Patriotwolf posted...
I know the Atheists on this board will simply say its a major coincidence, but the mathematical probability is astronomical.

So now probability is an argument for God existing? lol.