This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, a question to non Christians.

#1chukie_suePosted 6/30/2011 5:44:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you think the pros of this religion out weight the cons, or, if you had the chance, would you see to it that this religion never snowballed in popularity? Pure curiosity, no hidden point I'm trying ot make or anything.
---
A mighty hand, an outstretched arm - You are the God who saves, Deliverer Your name.
#2LinkFanaticPosted 6/30/2011 5:46:27 PM
It's difficult to say given the widely different sects/denominations of Christianity, but just to be general, I would say that in most cases, the good outweighs the bad.
---
SSJ Gotenks is santa clause, because he can fly around the planet in one night. - ShaolinAced
#3NsM ComatosisPosted 6/30/2011 5:50:09 PM(edited)
The bad outweighs the good IMO. Religion definitely played its part in shaping society as we know it, but it's run its course and it's time for us all to move on.

EDIT: Obviously, my sentiment above is directed at religion in general. As far as Christianity goes, I guess I prefer it over other religions out there, but I would still argue that the bad outweighs the good.
---
Pun is top 10 of all time. You can tell he ate a lot of mc's. -- Moogle Hunter
#4DiranosaurPosted 6/30/2011 5:48:46 PM
We don't know how the world would look if Christianity had never been popular, so I can't speak for that.

For modern days, though, it would be better for Christianity to decline. At least when it comes to politics and social rights, religion is keeping us back. People should be allowed to believe whatever they want though, as long as it doesn't harm others.
---
Band (folk music) - http://barfota.bandcamp.com/
Solo (mandolin) - http://mycorrhiza.bandcamp.com/
#5fudrickPosted 7/1/2011 2:29:26 PM
I'm pretty sure we would be exponentially more advanced in almost every way without christianity specifically, due in part to the enormous amount of time that has been wasted on christian rituals and prayers and church services and such but also for several other reasons.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#6gamesrgreatPosted 7/1/2011 2:54:50 PM
Hard to say. If the West wouldn't have been aggressively imperialistic with Christianity and was instead dominated by a religion that made them respect other people and other countries...then yeah I wish Christianity never existed. As it is right now, it would be best for Christianity to decline. So much idiocy, especially in American politics, is religiously driven/justified.
---
Cyclops has never beaten Wolverine
The Miami Heat
#7CIA911Posted 7/1/2011 3:30:44 PM
Yes, the pros of being a Christian completely outweigh the cons in every possible way.
---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?
#8Hustle KongPosted 7/1/2011 3:37:24 PM
I honestly cannot say. What would take its place?
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#9gamesrgreatPosted 7/1/2011 3:50:29 PM

I honestly cannot say. What would take its place?

Yeah that's the basic question I have
---
Cyclops has never beaten Wolverine
The Miami Heat
#10NsM ComatosisPosted 7/1/2011 4:02:24 PM
Nothing needs to be in its place. It's not as if there's gonna be a huge void that needs to be filled, as the voids currently occupied by religion shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Arguing that Christianity (or any other religion) is somehow necessary for our continued survival is effectively saying that the only way we can survive is by lying to ourselves and pretending to know things we don't know.
---
Pun is top 10 of all time. You can tell he ate a lot of mc's. -- Moogle Hunter