This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, a question to non Christians.

#31king_gimpyPosted 7/3/2011 11:01:40 AM
CIA911 posted...
ITT: Eternal happiness in Heaven has it's downside.

I'm not big on the idea of stroking God's ego for all eternity.
---
When I was born the doctor twisted up the facts,
he said that I was a devil son so now I'm having flashbacks.
#32NsM ComatosisPosted 7/3/2011 12:33:19 PM
One can't really argue with your position, because it's based on nothing but a hypothetical that you have no support for. No society in human history has clung fervently to the values that you wish everyone had.

Yeah, I must have my head completely in the clouds, with all those imaginary rational people I'm thinking of and the obvious impossibility of expecting more people to embrace these values. Nevermind that this is happening as we speak in the form of growing populations of atheist/irreligious/secular people, I'm just making **** up and living in a fantasy world.

I don't necessarily say that humans need "religion", so to speak. Humans seem to need some sort of devotion and fanaticism. This is shown by any human society that I can think of that we have ever known.

That have also never bothered to think about whether or not their beliefs (religious or otherwise) are supported by evidence, or if instead they've merely adopted dogmatic views where their claims are assumed true from the start with zero justification.

I WOULD prefer that every fanatic adopt a more "live and let live" approach, and not concern themselves with what or who their neighbor worships/venerates. But that's just out of my own selfish desire to be left alone by people who want to spread their ideas to me.

Surprisingly enough, I'm that way too, except that religious views have a very real and detrimental effect on society. I wouldn't care if these guys believed in "live and let live," but they don't, and now I have to live surrounded by religious fanatics who are directly and negatively influencing the society I live in.

If it doesn't bother you that someone like OW is out there telling people to discriminate against homosexuals (in the form of "follow God's word" and other such nonsense), the problem is with you, not me.

I REALLY don't care who is right or wrong. One of the few beliefs I have is the belief that we should all have the freedom to cling to whatever falsehood we choose, if it hurts no one else. And the New Atheist is one of the greatest offenders in this regard.

Yeah, these new atheists are way worse than all the people killing each other off over which god they're praying to, or the people being killed for witchcraft, or homosexuality, or being women, etc. etc. My bad for being such a horrible human being. Let's all hold hands and sing Kumbaya; the best way to solve problems is to ignore them.
---
Pun is top 10 of all time. You can tell he ate a lot of mc's. -- Moogle Hunter
#33ledzepfan15Posted 7/3/2011 12:36:11 PM
ITT: Eternal happiness in Heaven has it's downside.

What exactly do you define as "eternal happiness?"
---
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro
#34CIA911Posted 7/3/2011 12:36:53 PM
On topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmwBPsB0oaE
---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?