This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

moral question for both religious and and non religious people

#1kiricat2Posted 7/3/2011 12:13:56 AM
okay, you're driving in your car home in the early evening at around 5pm. It's still daylight, albeit a very grey day and furthermore it's absolutely pissing down with rain. As you think about the comfort your car brings you in this terrible weather, you see a girl of about 7 years old walking alone down an empty street. You begin to look for parents or any other responsible adult but see it's just her, walking alone with a backpack on (presumable coming home from school) and getting drenched in the cold rain.

Would you drive up to her and offer a lift, or would you leave her?

When answering this question, bare in mind how it looks that a significantly older man is approaching a young girl and asking her if she wants to get in his car.
---
But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the mad man...
#2CIA911Posted 7/3/2011 12:20:19 AM(edited)
When answering this question, bare in mind how it looks that a significantly older man is approaching a young girl and asking her if she wants to get in his car.

What does that have to do with morals ? I mean...if you think it's the right thing to do, does how other people view it really matter ?

---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?
#3GuideToTheDarkPosted 7/3/2011 12:36:30 AM
I look like a drug dealer, but I'd still do it.
---
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.
#4kozlo100Posted 7/3/2011 12:49:44 AM
I definitely would not leave a seven year old girl by herself in the pouring rain, regardless of how it looks.

I wouldn't just open with asking her to get in the car, since that's the prototypical kidnapping scenario they teach kids about, and I don't want to scare her, but I'd definitely get out of the car an make sure she was ok, and probably walk her the rest of the way home.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#5kiricat2(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2011 12:50:52 AM
CIA911 posted...
What does that have to do with morals ? I mean...if you think it's the right thing to do, does how other people view it really matter ?

I've asked this question somewhere else, and people have responded with answers that can be either seens as cautionery, but at the same time selfish, and also altruistically but somewhat irresponsible. so i think its an interesting thing to ask since you could great reactions and responses/justifications from people. I ask on the religion board because i think selflessness and morality in general are big themes in Religion.

For instance (going back to the scenario and how people tend to answer) is it morally right for someone to neglect the welfare of a child when they are the only responsible adult around, because they are afraid of what people will think of them or the trouble they would get into for taking a child into their car (and people have answered in this fashion)?

On the other end of the spectrum is it morally responsible for a grown man to approach a young girl and offer her lifts home just because the weather is a bit bad? would you want people offering your child a lift?

again i just think it's interesting the kind of responses this dilemma gets as it shows how much of our own morality is derived not from our stand point but what we think society would think of us if we chose one or the other choice.
---
#6kiricat2(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2011 12:53:38 AM
Hmm...the other place that i posted this question at has deleted the thread fbecause its apparently "trolling", but the answers were quite evenly split, if not weighed down more on the side that chose to leave the girl alone.
---
#7FoxTheSwiftPosted 7/3/2011 1:15:06 AM
Easy solution, I'd offer to call the police for her. That's helpful and not irresponsible.
#8RetrotasticPosted 7/3/2011 1:57:54 AM
As long as she doesn't look lost or anything I would assume she knows where shes going.
#9the final bahamutPosted 7/3/2011 4:34:15 AM
I'd drive up to her and ask her if she was okay, where she was going etc. If everything was okay, is drive on by, because being out in the pouring rain is one of the joys of being 7 years old.
---
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.
#10xXxCroNoxXxPosted 7/3/2011 4:40:21 AM
My first inclination would be to just give her an umbrella, bu I might....I dunno