This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In the modern age, doesn't it make more sense to worship...

#11BtVSFanPosted 7/3/2011 4:11:05 PM(edited)

How exactly is consciousness any more valid of a trait the... anything? I have consciousness but i know full well that the moon or sun is more worthy of worship

Did you not read the rest of my post? Because the first part of it clarifies your question.

Worship is comprised of the acts of veneration a human gives unto a deity, to show the deity devotion and form a stronger bond with that deity. For that purpose to be fulfilled, there has to be a conscious deity, or at least the idea thereof, on the receiving end. Either the worshiper is actually getting a closer relationship with the deity from the exchange, or they're getting the "feeling" of having a closer relationship. This doesn't work with something you know, or believe, is not conscious. No amount of rituals or adoration can bring you closer to an unthinking and unliving sun or moon. You're just engaging in rituals for the sake of engaging in rituals. If you want to do this, and feel like you're worshiping the sun, that's fine. But it's silly, and probably a waste of your time.
---
Someone's carryin' a bullet for you right now, doesn't even know it. The trick is, die of old age before it finds you - Mal
http://i36.tinypic.com/23yqa.jpg
#12xXxCroNoxXxPosted 7/3/2011 8:12:22 PM
I don't see any point in worshipping anything, but I'm far more comfortable in touting the vast benefits that a scientific understanding of the universe has brought us.
#13hermanooterPosted 7/4/2011 2:54:57 PM
I think we should go back to worshiping the mighty bull.
Not only are they conscious, they are very powerful, and have much larger genitals than any Jewish carpenter. Plus like god they sacrifice their body, blood, and/or children for our benefit, however they do it every single day unlike that indolent layabout Jesus who only bothered to do it once thousands of years ago.
Not only that but it would be the only religion ever where a big steaming pile of BS would actually be irrefutable proof of god's existence.
---
"For a hermeneut, you sure take the challah" - Polemos
#14shadow_571Posted 7/4/2011 6:07:27 PM

Isn't the point of worship to show your love for something that, y'know, cares if you love it or not?

The sun, the moon, other abstract concepts... they don't have consciousness, so why the hell would you worship them?

But God is perfect, if he is perfect. He shouldn't want your worship, need it, dictate it nor care for it.
---
Troubleshooting.Is that when I get out a .357 and shoot up this inferior piece of machinery for malfunctioning?
#15Wu_ZonghaiPosted 7/5/2011 4:40:58 AM
Non-human entities like the Sun, Moon, and plants, rather than some invisible deity?

Let me explain. While the debate still rages over whether some deity or deities exist and/or help us, we know for a fact that the Sun exists and helps us, that the Moon exists helps us, we know we exist symbiotically with plants and other animals.

So why not worship and give thanks to those things which we know help us, rather than speaking to the sky and wondering if anyone is listening?

Why would you worship something without a mind?

also, God is not a human.

If you think being thankful that we have all the things we need to survive is worship, you might have your definition mixed up.
---
At night, the trolls crawl out from their bridges to dance under the pale moon.
#16BtVSFanPosted 7/5/2011 8:01:38 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#17BtVSFanPosted 7/5/2011 8:01:57 AM

But God is perfect, if he is perfect. He shouldn't want your worship, need it, dictate it nor care for it.

First. What makes you think that God is perfect? Sure, there are some god concepts that involve perfection, but not all of them.
Second. I can see need, but what makes you think that a perfect being cannot want something?
---
Someone's carryin' a bullet for you right now, doesn't even know it. The trick is, die of old age before it finds you - Mal
http://i36.tinypic.com/23yqa.jpg