This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christ and forgiveness

#11OzymandiasIVPosted 7/4/2011 11:39:11 AM
I'd say it's possible to forgive someone and still punish them. The reason our "justice" system is in place because, by your model, anyone could just say they found Christ and could be back out on the streets, committing theft, violence, murder, rape, etc. I might forgive someone for hitting me, but if I don't trust them enough to believe they won't do it again, I'll still "punish" them with a restraining order.

I'm with hedonist on rehabilitative justice. IMO, you break the law, you do the time. It's fair for everyone and prevents the abuse of an easily faulty system. Now, rehabilitative justice, on the other hand, at least in America, needs some serious work. It's crap right now, because too many people have the mindset that criminals should be thrown into a cell and forgotten about. We're much more punitive than rehabilitative, and it's wrong (and, yes, I think being rehabilitated takes much more than claiming to have found God, or any other religion).
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#12CIA911Posted 7/4/2011 2:06:55 PM
Ok they added that into the canonical scriptures but Jesus himself didn't say "I have died for your sins" he just came back to life and said hello essentially. Whatever anyone else says is an interpretation of that event, assuming it did happen.

...what ? Who is "anyone else" ? The other prophets who wrote the Bible under the direction of Holy Spirit ? You realize that nothing in the Bible is a lie right ? A man could not write what happened if that's not what happened. Nothing is open to human interpretation, as the Bible itself says.
---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?
#13OzymandiasIVPosted 7/4/2011 2:15:09 PM
A man could not write what happened if that's not what happened.

I will say one thing: Some Christians sure knows how to make excuses to prevent certain of its followers from ever questioning anything.
---
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
#14CIA911Posted 7/4/2011 2:19:01 PM
Some Christians sure knows how to make excuses to prevent certain of its followers from ever questioning anything.

As opposed to the alternate belief, which is that God let numerous untrue bull**** into his Holy Book.
---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?