This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

From a Christian standpoint: Is love eternal?

#1cjd92Posted 7/10/2011 7:05:25 AM
Not God's love of course which obviously is, but the love us humans feel for each other here on earth for family, friends, significant others, etc...

Also, I'd love to hear other religions' input on the matter. I don't know how others deal with the matter. Atheists... I suppose you can just sit back and learn something new a about your enemies. ^_^
---
indeed.
#2FelixTrapperPosted 7/10/2011 7:10:41 AM
Yes. As a Mormon my entire faith and reason for existence is pretty much based on knowing that love and families can be eternal.
---
Slowly recreating Final Fantasy 6 into 3D, one block at a time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GDKT0486
#3RetrotasticPosted 7/10/2011 10:10:50 AM
As long as they don't fall out with each other before they die.
#4Julian_CaesarPosted 7/10/2011 1:12:07 PM
I think so, yes. Now, the love may be slightly different in heaven in the presence of God...not so much among friends and family, but for lovers and spouses. In heaven, the actual model for their romantic love will be revealed to them in full: the love that Christ has for the church, the body of believers. And so while their friendship and camaraderie will remain, I believe that all romantic love for each other will be rightfully replaced by our holy relationship with God.
---
"I don't think you can run a double-blind experiment with an omniscient being as the subject." -- kozlo100
#5Wil_StormchaserPosted 7/10/2011 8:13:17 PM
giantdonkeykongteam posted...
Yes. As a Mormon my entire faith and reason for existence is pretty much based on knowing that love and families can be eternal.

Came in here to say something like that
---
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/sheeple.png
#6ForsakenHermitPosted 7/11/2011 4:06:33 AM
I believe that all romantic love for each other will be rightfully replaced by our holy relationship with God.
This is why I'm terrified of the traditional Christian Heaven.
---
I will close this account if Final Fantasy XV is announced to be for either the PSP2 or 3DS.
Fire Yoichi Wada
#7Julian_CaesarPosted 7/12/2011 7:58:10 PM
This is why I'm terrified of the traditional Christian Heaven.

Because you live under the thumb of a worldview that tells you romantic love should never take a backseat to any other relationship, no matter what. And ironically, it's that very worldview which is destroying romantic love from the inside out.
---
"I don't think you can run a double-blind experiment with an omniscient being as the subject." -- kozlo100
#8CIA911Posted 7/12/2011 8:46:44 PM(edited)
No. Nothing from this world is eternal. You may feel something towards the other people in Heaven, but probably not the kind of love that people feel on this earth. You won't even recognize your wife if you see her in Heaven.

---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?
#9Julian_CaesarPosted 7/12/2011 8:50:16 PM
No. Nothing from this world is eternal. You may feel something towards the other people in Heaven, but probably not the kind of love that people feel on this earth. You won't even recognize your wife if you see her in Heaven.

I strongly disagree. Nothing from this world is eternal, that's true, but we experience many things in this life which are not of this world. True love for our fellow human souls is an eternal thing, because our souls are eternal. I won't recognize my wife's face in heaven because we will all have new bodies. But I will certainly recognize her soul.
---
#10CIA911Posted 7/12/2011 8:53:20 PM
I strongly disagree. Nothing from this world is eternal, that's true, but we experience many things in this life which are not of this world. True love for our fellow human souls is an eternal thing, because our souls are eternal. I won't recognize my wife's face in heaven because we will all have new bodies. But I will certainly recognize her soul.

Souls are not eternal though. They can be destroyed, and will be, and have been. Unless you're going to Heaven obviously. Then your soul is eternal. But not all souls. And no...you might see your wifes soul, but you aren't going to be able to go "Oh hey babe, you're here too huh ? Small world."
---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?