This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

you can be an atheist and believe in intelligent design

#1Forte89Posted 7/15/2011 9:08:00 AM
i don't see how hard it is to believe that our basic molecules were created by a physical being and then left on this planet to evolve. man has already decoded DNA and is on the verge of Encoding it.
#2OrnitierIXPosted 7/15/2011 9:16:07 AM
You mean like aliens?

Yeah, I suppose that still fits within atheism.
---
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...
#3OrangeWizardPosted 7/15/2011 9:19:07 AM
It seems unnecessary to me to make the distinction between "an Alien creating life" and "God creating life". What's the difference?
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#4BtVSFanPosted 7/15/2011 9:23:12 AM
It seems unnecessary to me to make the distinction between "an Alien creating life" and "God creating life". What's the difference?

God isn't traditionally convinced of as an alien, and aliens aren't usually considered gods. I mean, you could make a case for the two be synonymous, but it's more efficient to use the separate accepted terms.
---
Someone's carryin' a bullet for you right now, doesn't even know it. The trick is, die of old age before it finds you - Mal
http://i36.tinypic.com/23yqa.jpg
#5OnceInALifeTimePosted 7/15/2011 9:45:02 AM
Hang on, ID means we were designed essentially the same way we are now - which means we wouldn't be left alone to evolve. What you're talking about is a creator, and I'd suspect most atheists would reject the idea of an alien creating the universe for the same reasons why they'd reject a god, unicorn or really, really clever monkey creating it.
---
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake
#6Faust_8Posted 7/15/2011 9:46:18 AM
i don't see how hard it is to believe that our basic molecules were created by a physical being and then left on this planet to evolve.

IDers aka creationists don't believe in evolution. This concept is not ID/creationism, it's theistic evolution.
---
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."
#7IwantedzeroPosted 7/15/2011 9:48:25 AM
In theory yes, but rarely in practice.
---
Trust me, I'm a random stranger on the internet.
Live long, be happy, and try to ensure those around you do as well.
#8Forte89(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2011 9:56:28 AM
this is not creatism intelligent design this is logical intelligent design.
#9kozlo100Posted 7/15/2011 10:02:57 AM
What Faust said. You can be an atheist and believe that the universe was intelligently designed, but that's not quite the same thing as believing in Intelligent Design.

To get far enough so as to match beliefs with the ID movement, you'd have to ascribe a level power and involvement to the designer such that it becomes impractical not to call him a god.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#10fudrickPosted 7/15/2011 10:17:45 AM
OrangeWizard posted...

Suppose we humans eventually progress, technologically, to the point that we can manipulate individual atoms (or even subatomic particles) and manufacture organic compounds, and then combine those organic compounds into self sufficient life forms. Should we be considered gods?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious