This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question for Atheists about motivation.

#21PatriotwolfPosted 7/17/2011 2:42:41 AM(edited)
fudrick posted...
Patriotwolf posted...
There really is nothing to agree with, you simply over analyzed what he was saying

I didn't ask you to agree with anything, I asked if you thought his statement was accurate, given the hypothetical situation in the first post. This is a legitimate question. I don't see how I over-analyzed it at all, I only made a few comments about it. Are you saying that you wouldn't find it obnoxious, and rightfully so, if I said I've "survived" a christian country my whole life, because I live in the US? And that's ignoring the fact that the US is somewhere around 70% - 80% christian, while in this example the number of members of religion x and the number of atheists is equal.

I wouldnt say it was obnoxious, simply not the right choice of words. I would understand the point though. There are many parts of the world Christians are persecuted. You can't even read the Bible in parts of China. It's.not really all that unbelievable even if the situation were reversed.
---
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush
#22fudrickPosted 7/17/2011 11:02:19 AM
Patriotwolf posted...
I wouldnt say it was obnoxious, simply not the right choice of words.

You're avoiding my question. I'll bold it for emphasis:

Do you think it was accurate for him to say that in a country consisting of 50% atheists and 50% members of the religion outlines by the TC, the religious people have "survived an atheist country"?

Patriotwolf posted...
There are many parts of the world Christians are persecuted.

Yes, and everywhere else it's christians persecuting others. We aren't talking about christians, we're talking about the hypothetical religion outlined by TC; take your christian persecution complex elsewhere.

Patriotwolf posted...
You can't even read the Bible in parts of China. It's.not really all that unbelievable even if the situation were reversed.

What are you trying to say here?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#23PatriotwolfPosted 7/17/2011 11:18:25 AM
fudrick posted...

In the context you put it, it is not really accurate, as a survivor implies that they were in the minority.

Problem is, it may be a misunderstanding since he has not posted again.
---
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush
#24fudrickPosted 7/17/2011 11:28:33 AM
Patriotwolf posted...
In the context you put it

How did I put it in that context? He posted the topic, and he posted that message. He put it in that context, I was just pointing out the context.

Patriotwolf posted...
it is not really accurate, as a survivor implies that they were in the minority.

Not necessarily, it just implies that they lived through something difficult. Being religious in a society split half and half between your religion and atheists doesn't come close to qualifying for that.

Patriotwolf posted...
Problem is, it may be a misunderstanding since he has not posted again.

Like I said, if for some reason he left out the part where the atheists hold every position of power and enslave the religious people, it would have been acceptable to say.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious