This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Atheists: Do you see anything good in religion?

#21garet_0007Posted 7/16/2011 9:30:52 AM
The community about it is probably pretty nice for those who are into that sort of thing.

The tax benefits for churches and such is probably nice for those who benefit.
---
Frankly, I couldn't debate my way out of a paper bag. - YouAreWinnar66
#22Forte89Posted 7/16/2011 9:34:51 AM
I see good values taught by religion in some cases, but I do not see anything good in following any religion. There is no reason that one can't simply follow those good values without believing the obnoxious claims most religions make.

this, nothing more can be added to the value of religion
#23BtVSFanPosted 7/16/2011 10:17:56 AM
Yeah sure. Religion produces a lot of good.

The real question is, are the good things it produces exclusive to religion? If the goods are exclusive, do they outweigh the negatives of religion? If the goods aren't exclusive, can they be reproduced more efficiently through other means?
---
Uwe Boll makes terrible movies. Anyone who tells you otherwise is Uwe Boll - Seanbaby
http://theanteheroes.com/AceAttorneys/DamonGant.png
#24PatriotwolfPosted 7/16/2011 10:24:17 AM
BtVSFan posted...
Yeah sure. Religion produces a lot of good.

The real question is, are the good things it produces exclusive to religion? If the goods are exclusive, do they outweigh the negatives of religion? If the goods aren't exclusive, can they be reproduced more efficiently through other means?

it depends on what you think the negatives are
---
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush
#25BtVSFanPosted 7/16/2011 12:38:31 PM
it depends on what you think the negatives are

Well, Religion can justify hatred and violence, it can put one in opposition of scientific thought, it keeps gays from getting married, women from getting abortions, it can be used to bend the minds of the masses, and it can create fear.

I'm not saying that these negatives are universal, or even exclusive to religion, but they do occur.
---
Uwe Boll makes terrible movies. Anyone who tells you otherwise is Uwe Boll - Seanbaby
http://theanteheroes.com/AceAttorneys/DamonGant.png
#26squareandrarePosted 7/17/2011 7:28:32 AM
When you've convinced people to think that they can just magically know truth, you can manipulate them to believe or do practically anything you want.
---
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman