This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Theists: Do you see anything good in atheism?

#1OrangeWizardPosted 7/15/2011 1:24:32 PM
I'd say no, but the only thing that seems even desirable would be being able to do what you want without guilt, or less guilt, if what you're doing is illegal.

I'd feel like my life would lack direction and purpose if I was an atheist.

Also, being able to take blood transfusions may prolong my life temporarily.

That, and being able to have sex before marriage would be fun.

But overall, no, I don't see anything good in atheism.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#2fudrickPosted 7/15/2011 1:30:05 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
But overall, no, I don't see anything good in atheism.

You mean other than those four things you just mentioned? Not to mention the extra time you'd have.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#3Minotaur333Posted 7/15/2011 1:37:29 PM
Extra time to sit around and do .... nothing like 99% of mankind? I'd rather spend that time doing something that betters me(praying, reading the bible, volunteering, etc). That's just me though.
---
"I hope whoever I match up with fights the best fight of their life. Because I don't want to kill anybody." - Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto
#4Hustle KongPosted 7/15/2011 1:38:52 PM
I know this question is directed to theists, but-

I see nothing good in atheism. I see nothing bad in atheism, also. Same with theism. Specific atheistic philosophies often have many good points, as well as some bad ones.

An atheistic that allows one to do what one wants without any sense of shame or guilt is not one that I would describe as good. It is also not a part of this atheist's philosophy, as many of my actions or inactions are motivated by a desire to accumulate as little guilt as I can.

My life has both purpose and direction, as I am not an atheist who subscribes to nihilism.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#5Hustle KongPosted 7/15/2011 1:40:37 PM
Minotaur333 posted...
Extra time to sit around and do .... nothing like 99% of mankind? I'd rather spend that time doing something that betters me(praying, reading the bible, volunteering, etc). That's just me though.

There would be nothing stopping you from bettering yourself (volunteering, &c.) as an atheist. There would be nothing compelling you either, unless you subscribed to a philosophy that required trying to be a decent person.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#6fudrickPosted 7/15/2011 1:42:30 PM
Minotaur333 posted...
Extra time to sit around and do .... nothing like 99% of mankind?

Extra time. That's it. What he does with it is his choice, if "doing nothing" (according to you) is enjoyable to him then that's not your problem.

Minotaur333 posted...
I'd rather spend that time doing something that betters me(praying, reading the bible, volunteering, etc). That's just me though.

Praying and reading the bible don't better yourself if the bible isn't true, and volunteering has nothing to do with religion.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#7Hustle KongPosted 7/15/2011 1:45:22 PM
"Praying and reading the bible don't better yourself if the bible isn't true"

I would disagree with that. The bible needn't be true to be useful in that regard. I think one also betters themselves with Homer and Shakespear, too.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#8fudrickPosted 7/15/2011 1:48:42 PM
Hustle Kong posted...
I would disagree with that. The bible needn't be true to be useful in that regard. I think one also betters themselves with Homer and Shakespear, too.

Well I figured he was referring to the repetitive and relatively mindless reading of the same select verses in which the majority of christians partake. I do agree that the bible does have literary utility as does any other work of literature.
---
Best FCs:
#9OrangeWizard(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2011 1:53:17 PM
If not, it has a ton of placebo effects. If all this stuff about the holy spirit making us calm, giving us strength, helping us with our worries, etc is just placebo, it's still a benefit.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#10CIA911Posted 7/15/2011 1:55:20 PM(edited)
Also, being able to take blood transfusions may prolong my life temporarily.

That, and being able to have sex before marriage would be fun.

You do understand that...you are able to do these things even if you aren't an atheist right ? You might as well have just put "Being able to lie", "Being able to covet", etc., if you're making it seem like people who believe in God are incapable of doing those things.

Anyways, I see nothing good from anything that is against God's commandment, which includes stuff that I do as well as other people. God calls people who don't believe in him fools, and he calls those who say they believe in him but break his commandments liars. It's kind of all the same stuff. None of us are all that great.
---
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?