This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A simple question: God is the creator of evil (assuming it exists). Yes or no?

#81OrangeWizardPosted 7/17/2011 7:49:49 AM
mystic belmont posted...
If there is no way we can match wits with a supernatural being, why were Adam and Eve punished for listening to Satan?

Because Satan wasn't tricking her, or matching wits. He didn't confuse her sight and make her accidentally eat the fruit. That would be an example of someone tricking someone. Read Genesis again until you understand why what Satan did cannot be called "tricking" or "matching wits"
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#82mystic belmontPosted 7/17/2011 9:03:36 AM

mystic belmont posted...
If there is no way we can match wits with a supernatural being, why were Adam and Eve punished for listening to Satan?

Because Satan wasn't tricking her, or matching wits. He didn't confuse her sight and make her accidentally eat the fruit. That would be an example of someone tricking someone. Read Genesis again until you understand why what Satan did cannot be called "tricking" or "matching wits"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/trick

1. a crafty or underhanded device, maneuver, stratagem, or the like, intended to deceive or cheat; artifice; ruse; wile.

By lying to Eve about the apple, he intended to deceive her into eating it.
---
Again I must reiterate that I did not plagiarize twice, I copied two assignments once. - tuffguy34
[Evil Republican]
#83OrangeWizardPosted 7/17/2011 10:34:34 AM
Plainly contradicting what someone else said isn't tricking them. It's simply contradicting someone else.
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
#84mystic belmontPosted 7/17/2011 10:39:29 AM

Plainly contradicting what someone else said isn't tricking them. It's simply contradicting someone else.

In order to deceive.
---
Again I must reiterate that I did not plagiarize twice, I copied two assignments once. - tuffguy34
[Evil Republican]
#85fudrickPosted 7/17/2011 10:43:14 AM
This is an important question to this discussion: did Eve understand the concept of lying? Did she know that it was possible for someone to say something that wasn't true? If not, then when satan said it was okay to eat from the tree, she would have thought god changed his mind or something.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#86OrangeWizardPosted 7/17/2011 10:50:38 AM
mystic belmont posted...
In order to deceive.

On a base level, yes, lying to someone else in order to get them to believe what you want them to believe is a deception, a ruse, a trick. It's not a very good one, though, especially when all it amounts to is contradicting someone else.

Now if Satan put a mirage in front of their eyes, and made them think that they were eating something else, like a normal fruit, then that would be something that they would have been unable to counter.

The latter is what I'm talking about. Real supernatural tricks, like Loki's holograms in the Thor movie.

Any human can just contradict someone else.

But earlier, when I made my claim, I was referring specifically to God. If He had lied to us from the beginning, with all his Omnipotence or Omniscience, or even if he didn't have those powers, we would have never seen through his lies.
---
#87fudrickPosted 7/17/2011 10:52:35 AM
OrangeWizard posted...
On a base level, yes, lying to someone else in order to get them to believe what you want them to believe is a deception, a ruse, a trick. It's not a very good one, though, especially when all it amounts to is contradicting someone else.

It worked, and satan was probably pretty sure it would given that they'd never come into contact with dishonesty.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#88fudrickPosted 7/17/2011 11:40:29 AM
fudrick posted...
This is an important question to this discussion: did Eve understand the concept of lying? Did she know that it was possible for someone to say something that wasn't true? If not, then when satan said it was okay to eat from the tree, she would have thought god changed his mind or something.

Someone should repost this because I think OW's answer is integral to this argument.
---
Best FCs: