This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did Eve know she was being deceived?

#1mystic belmontPosted 7/18/2011 12:35:00 PM
Was that part of the knowledge that god gave Adam and Eve?

If not, how would they have know that they were being deceived by Satan?
---
Again I must reiterate that I did not plagiarize twice, I copied two assignments once. - tuffguy34
[Evil Republican]
#2fudrickPosted 7/18/2011 12:36:20 PM
I tried asking OW this in another topic before I knew he had me on ignore. I'm really interested in what christians have to say regarding whether Adam and Eve knew that lying was possible.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#3chukie_suePosted 7/18/2011 1:15:21 PM

Was that part of the knowledge that god gave Adam and Eve?

God may have been responsible for them gaining that knowledge, but I think He only gave it in an indirect way... Which isn't really relevant, just sharing information.

If not, how would they have know that they were being deceived by Satan?

I don't think they did. I subscribe to the same Theology and Jonathan Edwards about this:

If you ate form that tree, you'd have knowledge of good and evil. God created man for His glory - How could God be fully glorified if

a) We didn't know what good was (and we wouldn't have even seen it contrasted with evil)

and

b) God wouldn't have been able to show His merciful, gracious, and judging nature.
---
A mighty hand, an outstretched arm - You are the God who saves, Deliverer Your name.
#4SuibomPosted 7/18/2011 1:37:02 PM
I chalk Eve's sin up to two things:

1. God had said not to eat from the TotKoGaE (yes, I totally just abbreviated the whole thing!)

2. God told them to guard and keep the Garden.

Had Eve put 1 and 2 together, she would have realized that what she was to guard the Garden from was the same thing that was asking her to believe something different than God had already said.

Instead, she believed the lie.
---
If honor be your clothing, the suit will last a lifetime; but if clothing be your honor, it will soon be worn threadbare.~ William Arnot
#5anavriNPosted 7/18/2011 1:45:07 PM(edited)
Did Eve know she was being deceived?

Seems unthinkable to me, as the concept "deceived" is inherently ethical. Seeing how they couldn't tell the difference between right and wrong, Eve didn't even posses the very concept of being deceived.

She may have understood the difference between a truth and a falsehood (unless there was also a Tree of Logic that Genesis neglects to tell us about...), but she would be unable to comprehend with it means to tell a falsehood with ill intent.

Short answer: no.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#6anavriNPosted 7/18/2011 1:47:38 PM
This question constitutes the biggest plot hole in Genesis: why did Yahweh punish beings for making a choice they didn't comprehend? It's like throwing an infant out of a ten story window and punishing it for not being able to fly.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#7almasbabyPosted 7/18/2011 2:26:45 PM
She comprehended that to eat the apple would give her the same power as God, or so the snake told her. She wanted that power. There's no reason to read to deep into it, how devious or not she was capable of being. It's just a myth. Apparently the mythmaker wasn't overly concerned with logical consistency in its making.

I'd just like to meet the guy who actually made up the story. I'd say to him, "Do you have any idea what you started with this dumbass myth of yours? There are people on message boards arguing over whether Eve could comprehend a lie or not. Five thousand years later!"
#8anavriNPosted 7/18/2011 2:39:32 PM
There are people on message boards arguing over whether Eve could comprehend a lie or not.

Arguing about whether Eve could have comprehended what a lie was is like arguing over whether a blind person could see the Mona Lisa.
---
#9chukie_suePosted 7/18/2011 3:03:51 PM

the biggest plot hole in Genesis: why did Yahweh punish beings for making a choice they didn't comprehend? It's like throwing an infant out of a ten story window and punishing it for not being able to fly.

I don't think it can really be called a plot hole. The only way they were really "punished" was being exiled. When she ate, they did get knowledge of good and evil. This wasn't God punishing them anymore than me being punished by a pharmacist by overdosing on ibuprofen.

I mean, God laid it out pretty well, effectually saying: "If you eat that, you'll have knowledge of these things called good and evil. Don't eat."

Maybe they were punished for stupidity. They knew God created everything including themselves, and that He said not to do something, yet they did it anyway.
---
A mighty hand, an outstretched arm - You are the God who saves, Deliverer Your name.
#10mystic belmont(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2011 3:10:37 PM
Eve was punished with childbirth, Adam with having to farm.
---
Again I must reiterate that I did not plagiarize twice, I copied two assignments once. - tuffguy34
[Evil Republican]