This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did Eve know she was being deceived?

#41king_gimpyPosted 7/19/2011 8:32:56 PM
If we view the story as true then Satan gave us the ability to know Good and Evil, to choose between them. He gave us the ability to truly have knowledge and choice.

Satan is knowledge.
---
I am the Devil, and I am here to do the Devil's work.
#42fudrickPosted 7/19/2011 8:35:28 PM
king gimpy posted...
If we view the story as true then Satan gave us the ability to know Good and Evil, to choose between them. He gave us the ability to truly have knowledge and choice.

Satan is knowledge.

Yeah, technically, it is satan who created good, functionally. If we don't know of good and evil, what's the point of it?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#43CS_Goodman_Posted 7/20/2011 10:05:32 AM
I'd just like to meet the guy who actually made up the story. I'd say to him, "Do you have any idea what you started with this dumbass myth of yours? There are people on message boards arguing over whether Eve could comprehend a lie or not. Five thousand years later!"

The problem probably lies with the inability of the wooden-literalistic Wad to interpret the myth correctly. After all, the (secular?) West has long been regarded for its poetic incompetence--its "mythic" inadequacy.
---
Put in positions off in the Claire; all that I had to do was stare.
#44CS_Goodman_Posted 7/20/2011 10:20:54 AM

Satan is knowledge.

Good can easily be known in the absence of evil so long as you're not a damned dualist. I suspect Satan merely preyed on Eve's latent capacity for (faux-)pride, mingled ever-so-dangerously with neophyte naivete.
---
Put in positions off in the Claire; all that I had to do was stare.
#45fudrickPosted 7/20/2011 10:45:14 AM
CS_Goodman_ posted...
Good can easily be known in the absence of evil so long as you're not a damned dualist. I suspect Satan merely preyed on Eve's latent capacity for (faux-)pride, mingled ever-so-dangerously with neophyte naivete.

The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

They didn't know about goodness until they ate it.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious