This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: Marx was more sympathetic to religion than most people think

#1shockwavepulsarjimPosted 7/18/2011 12:44:44 PM
C: He may have viewed it as wrongheaded, but not necessarily bad. It was the only kind of truth or logic that the pre-revolution proletariat could hope for.

The quote 'Religion is the opium of the people' is also routinely taken out of context. The full quote is 'Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of the heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people'. Which I think dramatically changes the implications of that passage, even if, at its core, he still viewed it as an opiate.
---
Proletarier aller Lander vereinigt Euch!
#2anavriNPosted 7/18/2011 12:49:14 PM
Seems like almost every 19th century intellectual is often misunderstood and/or quoted out of context. Marx, Freud, Darwin, Nietzsche...
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
#3OrnitierIXPosted 7/18/2011 12:52:58 PM
It almost sounds like he thinks religion will not be necessary in a pro-revolution society, not that it should be eradicated by force.
---
If only I could relieve my hunger by vigorously rubbing my belly...
#4shockwavepulsarjim(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2011 12:54:02 PM
Would using Nietzsche to advocate assisted suicide fall into that category? I always liked that quote in your sig.
---
#5mercuryinkPosted 7/18/2011 1:04:44 PM
Vonnegut once pointed out that in the 19th century, Marx calling it the opium of the masses was like calling it aspirin or Tylenol.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#6FoxTheSwiftPosted 7/18/2011 1:24:48 PM
mercuryink posted...
Vonnegut once pointed out that in the 19th century, Marx calling it the opium of the masses was like calling it aspirin or Tylenol.

Depends on where. It isn't like there was any shortage of opium dens in the 19th century. The British didn't bring opium into China as a cure-all but rather as a recreational drug to enslave the Chinese.
#7mercuryinkPosted 7/18/2011 1:29:47 PM
And I'm sure that's what a German philosopher in exile in (probably, at the time) France had in mind.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#8shockwavepulsarjim(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2011 2:04:24 PM(edited)
I forgot to include this bit, but Marx, a sentence later, goes on to say: 'Criticism has plucked the imaginary flowers on the chain not in order that man shall continue to bear that chain without fantasy or consolation, but so that he shall throw off the chain and pluck the living flower. The criticism of religion disillusions man, so that he will think, act, and fashion his reality like a man who has discarded his illusions and regained his senses, so that he will move around himself as his own true Sun. Religion is only the illusory Sun which revolves around man as long as he does not revolve around himself.'

Why are people content to quote the opium bit? This is much more profound.
---
#9OrangeWizardPosted 7/18/2011 2:18:00 PM
Because it doesn't fit inside of a sig
---
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
#10anavriNPosted 7/18/2011 2:26:28 PM
Would using Nietzsche to advocate assisted suicide fall into that category? I always liked that quote in your sig.

Definately.

To be frank, I've never been able to fully grasp what Nietzsche meant by this odd and ominous aphorism. But anyone who knows his Nietzsche understand that you can't just take one of his quotes and take them at face value. There are many Nietzsches because his style and content is never beyond ambiguity or interpretation. Obviously, he didn't really advocate suicide in this quote, as should be evident by the paradoxical phrase of getting through a bad night by thinking about not going through anything ever more.
---
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.